Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX denial reasons

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

AMEX denial reasons

I applied for the AMEX Delta Card on Jan 29th and was denied.

I got the denial letter today and here are the reasons:

The number of credit accounts opened recently. What do they consider recently? I have opened 4 new accounts in the last 6 months and 8 in the last year, so this is obviously a valid reason. When will AMEX consider these accounts not new? 1 year or 2 years 

Next reason says "Our assessment that you had one or more balance transfers recently. I transferred a balance in August of $1600 to my new US Bank card with 12 months 0%. That transfer is down to $600 so I'm not sure why they consider that to be a problem.

The last reason says sum of CC balances is high to the ratio of credit limits. This ratio only includes accounts  opened in the last 6 months.  It's interesting that they only looked at the Util on accounts opened in the last 6 months.  I opened a Wells Fargo Home Projects visa in August to finance a new air conditioner. This is more like a installment account with a fixed rate of 9% and fixed payment but it reports as a revoving line because as part of the $9200 limit there is a Visa card with a $1000 limit. I have a balance of $7200 on that card, so my Util over the 4 cards opened I the last 6 months is around 50%.  My total overall Util is at 34%, half of which is the Wells Card.

Im not not sure why that represents risky behavior as my income is $95000 and supports the new debt that I took on. 

I know I jumped the gun out of anxiousness to get in with AMEX. I really have all the credit  I need right now and Im not is rush to,get any new credit. I mostly wanted the AMEX for backdating to shore up AAoA as well as the sign up bonus. I will stay in the garden now till the end of the year and reasses my profile then to see if I can try again for an AMEX. My Util should be down to under 10% by then with only 1 balance reporting.

My EX score on  AMEX app shows 654.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX denial reasons

Id say last 6 months.

Message 2 of 9
EmmyWannabeOrman
Contributor

I was denied too. Just stay consistent and be patientSmiley Happy 

Cap One QS 1950, NFCU 7000, NavChek 6500, Cap One secured 750, IFCU 1000, IFCU (overdraft line of credit) 1000, Express 3100, NY&Co 2650, Victoria's Secret 2650, Exxon/Mobil 300, Zales 500, Kay's 900, Walmart 3500, Bloomingdales 1000, Belks 850, Paypal Smartconnect 1300, Chase Freedom 2000,Chase Slate 500. Gap 4000, BP 3000, Amazon store card 3500
Message 3 of 9
eddiejr89
Established Member

I would try one of their charge cards, I got the Amex PRG with similar credit history. 

EX 671, EQ 661, and TU 671 (USAA Credit Check Monitoring)
CC:
Amex PRG NPSL - NFCU NavCheck 15K - NFCU cashRewards 20K - Chase Sapphire 5K - Chase Disney Premier 6K - Barclays Arrival 10K - Cap 1QS 3K - Home Depot Card 10K - Military Star Card 2.7K
Message 4 of 9
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

The number of credit accounts opened recently. What do they consider recently? I have opened 4 new accounts in the last 6 months and 8 in the last year, so this is obviously a valid reason. When will AMEX consider these accounts not new? 1 year or 2 years 

Next reason says "Our assessment that you had one or more balance transfers recently. I transferred a balance in August of $1600 to my new US Bank card with 12 months 0%. That transfer is down to $600 so I'm not sure why they consider that to be a problem.

The last reason says sum of CC balances is high to the ratio of credit limits. This ratio only includes accounts  opened in the last 6 months.  It's interesting that they only looked at the Util on accounts opened in the last 6 months.  I opened a Wells Fargo Home Projects visa in August to finance a new air conditioner. This is more like a installment account with a fixed rate of 9% and fixed payment but it reports as a revoving line because as part of the $9200 limit there is a Visa card with a $1000 limit. I have a balance of $7200 on that card, so my Util over the 4 cards opened I the last 6 months is around 50%.  My total overall Util is at 34%, half of which is the Wells Card.

Im not not sure why that represents risky behavior as my income is $95000 and supports the new debt that I took on. 

I know I jumped the gun out of anxiousness to get in with AMEX. I really have all the credit  I need right now and Im not is rush to,get any new credit. I mostly wanted the AMEX for backdating to shore up AAoA as well as the sign up bonus. I will stay in the garden now till the end of the year and reasses my profile then to see if I can try again for an AMEX. My Util should be down to under 10% by then with only 1 balance reporting.

that was a big flag to AMEX. this is something frown upon most lenders. They don't like to see a consistency of you applying for credit. I'll say wait a year (or till atleast most of the INQs fall off) and then apply again.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 5 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

I would say six months. I was denied for too many inqs/new accounts. Waited six months and got instant approvals. First round I picked up two cards. Second round (seven months later) I picked up three cards. Next round in another five months if I can keep myself in the garden will be for 2 to 3 new cards (one of which will be a biz card). I do not intend to app for more than three cards in any one six month cycle, but will try to limit it to two (some outrageous bonus offer may have me break this rule but otherwise I want to spread them out). On a side note I will not always apply right after six months (that's the minimum, but some cards will have special offers and I may wait for one of those offers to pop up before pulling the trigger, which may happen in July).  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 9
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Your income is $95,000.00 it is a pretty good money, why balance transfer of $1600.00? pay it off. I think lenders look at this way too..

Message 7 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

that was a big flag to AMEX. this is something frown upon most lenders. They don't like to see a consistency of you applying for credit. I'll say wait a year (or till atleast most of the INQs fall off) and then apply again.

Depends on one's credit as well.  A thicker file will generally handle these things better.  I opened 8 new accounts in 2013 without any issues.  There were 3 new accounts in the 3 months prior to one of my new AmEx cards last year.  Even PenFed wasn't concerned about the 4 new accounts opened in the 4 months prior to their card.  As always, YMMV.

Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@peaceonearth wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Your income is $95,000.00 it is a pretty good money, why balance transfer of $1600.00? pay it off. I think lenders look at this way too..

+1.

Reasonable question of where's the money going if not to pay off the debt?  They may be able to determine balance transfer, and they could back-in to 0% based on the payment information on one's report, but doesn't mean they're going to like it unfortunately.

Is a bit awkward as certainly over the last year if I had a 0% debt I would've left it hanging and done something else with the money (could've picked non-penny stocks on a Ouija board last year been in the money) but lenders in general and likely Amex in particular would rather have their debt repaid ASAP.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.