Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX denied me a student card!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX denied me a student card!

The 699 Experian score is just the standard myFico score. How do I find out the Plus score?

And if the recon doesn't work.. I'm just going to wait a few months. I'm still puzzled. I agree, the reasons they list sound like total BS.

Message Edited by lotero89 on 02-20-2008 07:57 PM
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got my off of freecreditreport.com or you can get it from experian.com....make sure it's the plus score...I'm almost sure that's what AMEX uses and not the FICO
Message 12 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
is the 669 your Ex FICO or Ex Plus score..for some reason I think that AMEX uses the proprietary Ex plus score and not the FICO..do you know what your Ex Plus score...if so please let us know..i am curious..i got the same thing on my AMEX denial for Skymiles...i happen to check my Ex plus score and it was dang near 60 points lower than my FICO of 642.

This keeps popping up, and I've never seen any confirmation of it. We have some AmEx CSR's who post every now and then, and I thought I remembered them saying that it's a combination of the FICO score plus AmEx's internal formula.

Is this something that you've found out somewhere? Personally, I think AmEx uses goat entrails and tea leaves to make their decisions... Maybe a dartboard is involved as well. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if they use "inny minnie miny moe" to determine who gets accepted!

Smiley Tongue
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's all i can think that it could be because..i have seen people post on here that they got an AMEX with a 590 FICO...I had a 642 FICO and they told me that my score was too low...well after i scratched the dandruff out of my hair for 2 hours i decided, what the heck let me see what my Ex plus score is...582...which would make sense for them to say my score from the consumer reporting service was too low...that's just my guess..
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

GETNUMBERSUP wrote:
that's all i can think that it could be because..i have seen people post on here that they got an AMEX with a 590 FICO...I had a 642 FICO and they told me that my score was too low...well after i scratched the dandruff out of my hair for 2 hours i decided, what the heck let me see what my Ex plus score is...582...which would make sense for them to say my score from the consumer reporting service was too low...that's just my guess..

This is pretty common among all CC denial letters, not just Amex.  A lot of their reasons make absolutely no sense when you consider that you have seen others get the card you just gt denied for when those other people had more baddies, lower scores, more inquiries, etc etc.

I'm usually no longer surprised when I see a denial letter with a bunch of BS on it.

The one OP posted seems to take the cake, though.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any explanation as to why AMEX just doesn't award people with good credit? I don't get it. I would have been fine with even a $500 CL... I just wanted an IN with AMEX.

Discover INSTANTLY approved me and people say they're one of hardest to approve.

That's why I felt confident in applying for AMEX.

Message Edited by lotero89 on 02-20-2008 08:25 PM
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

lotero89 wrote:
Is there any explanation as to why AMEX just doesn't award people with good credit? I don't get it. I would have been fine with even a $500 CL... I just wanted an IN with AMEX.

Discover INSTANTLY approved me and people say they're one of hardest to approve.

That's why I felt confident in applying for AMEX.

If you really want an IN with Amex, see my earlier post about Green or Delta.

As I said before, if your scores and reports look like you say they do, I'd be very surprised if you were denied for either of those.
There are different underwriting standards for each card.  For Amex cards, I'd rank Blue slightly above average in terms of how hard it is to get.  Blue for Students may be different, though.  I don't know.

I am agreeing with you that lack of long credit history is a completely BS reason on an application for a card intended for students.  But if you really want an Amex, Green or Delta are the easiest ways in.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the advice, but I'm not THAT desperate to get in with AMEX. I also don't want a fee card...

If the Recon doesn't work (I'm going to wait a few days to see if I get a response from the email I sent through Planet Feedback), I'll just wait a few months and reapply so my accounts can age more.

Thanks again so much for understanding and the advice!
Message 19 of 27
thevariable
Valued Member

If you really want an IN with Amex, see my earlier post about Green or Delta.

As I said before, if your scores and reports look like you say they do, I'd be very surprised if you were denied for either of those.
There are different underwriting standards for each card.  For Amex cards, I'd rank Blue slightly above average in terms of how hard it is to get.  Blue for Students may be different, though.  I don't know.

I am agreeing with you that lack of long credit history is a completely BS reason on an application for a card intended for students.  But if you really want an Amex, Green or Delta are the easiest ways in.

Quick question, I'm a student that also want to get in with Amex, but I want the Gold Card. Would the qualifications be similar for that of the Green? I don't mind the higher AF and I want the better application bonus points and access to Gold Card Events. I'll probably be pushing about 7 or 8k a month through the card (my school takes credit card payments). My Experian Plus score is a 723, but after this month's statements cut, it should go up, because I'll get my utilization down to right about 5% (it's at 17%, now).
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.