v639dragoon

AMEX dispute / return policy? Unsure what to do

I purchased an item back in November and was not allowed to return it to the merchant. So I figured I'd just call Amex and return it to them as they refund up to $300 within 3 months. I did not know how to get the process started. Upon calling Amex and telling the CSR in December that I wanted to return the product to Amex for a refund, they told me they would dispute the charge and this would take some time. I thought this was protocol to return an item to Amex. A couple months goes by, February, and I receive a message saying the dispute was closed and that the merchant would not take my item back and now I am out of the 3 month return policy period to return to Amex (which is what I initially wanted to do)?

I called Amex back and explained the situation. The CSR said they would re-dispute the claim and that it would be expedited. Well I know that I am going to get the same answer from Amex. All I wanted to do was return the item to Amex, and not the merchant. Which is what I told to both CSR's as the merchant won't accept returns. 

I don't want to be stuck with the item, it's been collecting dust this whole time. Clearly there was some miscommunication between Amex and I. Is there another number I can call to get this sorted out? The CSR's I spoke with seemed to very generic and not to knowledgeable. 

Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL | Amex BCP $6k | Credit Union Card $1k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5k | Southwest RR Plus $5k | Nordstrom Store Card $4k | Cap1 Venture $35k AU | Amex Plat Business NPSL
Regular Contributor
broseph23

Re: AMEX dispute / return policy? Unsure what to do

There's a specific phone number listed in the benefits brochure for return protection. Mine, which came from my Blue Sky Preferred, lists this number for return protection: 1-800-297-8019. The pamphlet also lists eligble items that are returnable to them. 

Age: 22 | FICO: TU 748, EQ 740, EX 716 | FAKO: TU 755, EX 778 | Garden: 4/14 | Total History: 4yr 2mo | AAoA: 2yr 4mo | Util: 2%
........24000...............4000...............6000................7000................500..................5000................4500...............10000

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}