Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX dreams

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

AMEX dreams

I really want to add one to my wallet, what requirements whould i need to get one? I have 2 collections that will be gone by the end of next month, i do have a tax lien that has been paid off since 2006, and i have a few 30 day lates on my auto loan that hopefully chrysler will remove Smiley Sad

Just the get my foot in the door AMEX, what do you guys think?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX dreams

I'm curious as to what people have to say about this as well. One day I'd like to app for the Blue Everyday, but don't want to waste an INQ on it right now (doubt I'd be approved) but wonder if it's worth apping for one of their lower cards just to establish a history with them.

Message 2 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

I wouldn't waste an inq on an AMEX. If the scores in your siggy are correct, then I would say they are too low for an AMEX. OThers may have some other opinion.

Message 3 of 11
aftermath
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I really want to add one to my wallet, what requirements whould i need to get one? I have 2 collections that will be gone by the end of next month, i do have a tax lien that has been paid off since 2006, and i have a few 30 day lates on my auto loan that hopefully chrysler will remove Smiley Sad

If you are itching to apply for an Amex, then wait one more month until those 2 collections drop off your reports, then apply for an Amex Zync which is one of their easier cards to obtain.

Make sure that your EX is as clean as you can possibly get it because that is what they pull exclusively (pay down your balances to below 10%, attempt to remove some baddies, etc.)

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 4 of 11
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious as to what people have to say about this as well. One day I'd like to app for the Blue Everyday, but don't want to waste an INQ on it right now (doubt I'd be approved) but wonder if it's worth apping for one of their lower cards just to establish a history with them.

I questions the whole "establishing a history" theory with Amex.

I've had a Blue Cash with them for over 4 years, they still wont approve me for any other card due to a 5 year old baddy I had on my report (which FYI was on my reports when they approved me for the Blue Cash, go figure.)

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 5 of 11
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

I got approved for a zync with TU 665 EQ 626 and 635 EXplusfaco..

No collections, 1 Charge off from 2008 and another in 2005

I tried the preapproval page for quite awhile and never got anything, so I just bit the bullet and app'd.  Got the message to call in, they verified address and a few other questions and I was approved.

I had 3 other CC's on my report when I app'd with less than 10% util.

Hope that helps

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

@xlr8d wrote:

I got approved for a zync with TU 665 EQ 626 and 635 EXplusfaco..

No collections, 1 Charge off from 2008 and another in 2005

I tried the preapproval page for quite awhile and never got anything, so I just bit the bullet and app'd.  Got the message to call in, they verified address and a few other questions and I was approved.

I had 3 other CC's on my report when I app'd with less than 10% util.

Hope that helps

what was your AAoA?

Message 7 of 11
vish1
Valued Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

If you are itching to apply for an Amex, then wait one more month until those 2 collections drop off your reports, then apply for an Amex Zync which is one of their easier cards to obtain.

Make sure that your EX is as clean as you can possibly get it because that is what they pull exclusively (pay down your balances to below 10%, attempt to remove some baddies, etc.)

+1

I will like to add that with OPs scores, amex may pull EX + 1 more or may be even all 3. They pulled all 3 for me in January when I got my zync even though I was instantly approved online and my ex fico must be around 700 (My eq fico was 693 and my EX has far less inquiries than EQ so guessing around 700, worst case 693)

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 8 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried the preapproval link? If so, does it provide you with any offers? If not, I would definitely recommend waiting for your COs to fall off and try the link again. The end of next month isn't that far away. Smiley Happy

https://www201.americanexpress.com/secure/my-special-offers?btct=SJHP_hero_ultimateapply

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got amex zync with two collections but i had no lates and no lien or anything else. i also had good aaoa and all that

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.