Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX frowns on multiple payments???

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX frowns on multiple payments???

@HeavenOhio wrote:

There are so many ins and outs that I don't think a rep is going to catch all of them. And when this topic comes up here, I don't think we catch them either. It'd be nice if AMEX offered a thorough FAQ. Yes, I recall that you can pay up to five times in a day. And I think the one "prepayment" thing I mentioned above is valid, especially since I made one. Smiley Happy

Also, I think — but I can't confirm — that if you open subsequent cards and use an existing payment account, there won't be any restrictions.

I thought this as well, but if I'm not mistaken @Anonymous mentioned a little while back that their system didn't pick up if a bank account is established (or not), and that any new card account will have the same early restrictions, even if the payment bank account is 'established' with Amex on an existing card account.

I would love to learn that I am mistaken on this or misunderstood. 

In any case, it's easy to get around by using bill pay (and it's only the first month); I also think that a rep might (?) be able to make a payment for you over the phone even if you can't do it online yourself (might need somebody to verify this... things change).

Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an ED and was approved for PRG in april. Same payment restrictions in the first thirty days with the PRG even with the same bank account for payments. But I was able to just phone in payments during the first thirty days without a problem. The CSR who answers the call won't be able to do it. They will have to transfer you to someone higher up who can bypass the restriction.

Never had a problem calling in a payment im my first 30 days with the PRG. In fact, the representative always told me they appreciated the fact I was willing to call to make a payment and gave me a different number to call for the payments.
Message 12 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

I'm looking for a little info regarding this since I was recently approved for an AMEX card with a SL of only $1000.  Obviously $1000 is rather low and does not allow for much spending power.  With that in mind, I planned to use it and make payments frequently to continue to have available credit.  Is this frowned upon and will raise suspicion from AMEX?

I'm also new to Amex as I was recently approved for the BCE. I did an online chat just the other day on this topic with Amex. They told me that on your first billing cycle, you can't make a payment until the first cycle ends. Then after 31 days, you are allowed up to 5 payments in a 24 hour period.

I am also new. My first statement has not cut. I made a payment and it applied towards my available limit immediately. I was very shocked and impressed. I did set up my payment account on day one and was 25 days into it, however. 

Message 13 of 34
thom02099
Valued Contributor

<---------------------   Has visual image of a bunch of AMEX CSR's sitting around a monitor and frowning...  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Wink

Make the requisite one payment from the website and push any others that you might want to make.  Once you've satisfied that requirement, you should be good to go for mulitiple payments.  As noted, unless something has changed, 5 payments within a 24hour period (but who would do such a thing???) 

Message 14 of 34
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@A1Credit wrote:

I'm looking for a little info regarding this since I was recently approved for an AMEX card with a SL of only $1000.  Obviously $1000 is rather low and does not allow for much spending power.  With that in mind, I planned to use it and make payments frequently to continue to have available credit.  Is this frowned upon and will raise suspicion from AMEX?

Absolutely not. It's perfectly fine.

I do it all the time, and have done it since I first got my Amex cards.

If they ever decline you making a payment on their site, ,then you just send the payment from your checking account. But they've never declined a payment of mine and I constantly make little payments.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 34
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

Absolutely not. It's perfectly fine.

I do it all the time, and have done it since I first got my Amex cards.

If they ever decline you making a payment on their site, ,then you just send the payment from your checking account. But they've never declined a payment of mine and I constantly make little payments.

I do the same. I have been known to make a purchase and then use the App to pay before I get back to the car.

I do this with Amex, Chase, NFCU and any others that let me pay before posting.

Tipping on top of a restaurant or Pizza bill will sometimes throw off my system and I'll have to make 2 payments per small chatge

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 16 of 34
DeeCorey
New Contributor

I was recently approved for an ED card (new AMEX customer). I made a small payment last month BEFORE my first statement cut, then paid in full after the statement cut. No problem whatsoever. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Message 17 of 34
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

During my 1st month, just a couple of weeks ago, I made a good $500 payment online and a few days later I was able to call and make a payment with a CSR in 5 minutes.

Quick, free and painless Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 34
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Total80sKid wrote:

During my 1st month, just a couple of weeks ago, I made a good $500 payment online and a few days later I was able to call and make a payment with a CSR in 5 minutes.

Quick, free and painless Smiley Happy

@DeeCorey @Total80sKid

Well I finally received my card in the mail today.  I will take all the advice given here and will make one payment through their site and push all subsequent payments either from my bank or by calling the CSRs for the first few months.

Thanks to all that replied! :-)

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 19 of 34
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You'll be unrestricted 30 days after setting up your payment account. You should only have to jump hoops if you need to exceed their restrictions during that time. You shouldn't have to push payments for "the first few months" unless that's what you prefer to do.

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.