Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX gave me a $10k CLI to $30k on Blue Cash - I love AMEX

tag
Cory
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX gave me a $10k CLI to $30k on Blue Cash - I love AMEX

Hi Mark,

You are so right. When you have that inner peace, you understand that stuff (material things) does not define who you are. Be satisfied with what you have, and the rest will come in time. But learning to be satisfied with yourself take along time to learn for most people.

But when you do, GOD knows you start actually living and not just existing.

Happy Holidays Every & Happy New Year!

Cory

Message 11 of 26
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Mark_in_Pasadena wrote:
 around $37,000 worth of spending for the year. 

Probably a good part of the reason they like you  Smiley Very Happy 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 12 of 26
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Mark_in_Pasadena wrote:

Or even better, does anyone have anything positive to say about AMEX since all I see are negative threads on here.

See:
Having Amex is not COMPULSORY - and why I have one 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=101776&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mark_in_Pasadena wrote:

...I just would like to know if other extremely low risk users on here with a FICO score above 760 (rated as "Great" by FICO) who PIF and have no "baddies" on their credit reports have had a CLD or been denied a CLI by AMEX since November of this year. 

I have an Optima Platinum account, opened in 1995.  I haven't had a CLD.  However, I only used this card 5 times this year.  What's interesting, is that I used the card at Wal-Mart on each of these 5 occasions.  According to my Experian report, AMEX did an Account Review in early November. 

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mark_in_Pasadena wrote:

does anyone have anything positive to say about AMEX since all I see are negative threads on here.

(TJ/non-productive post deleted.  Please keep responses on topic and in line with OP's intent. - Scamp)

Message Edited by Scamp on 12-24-2008 12:35 PM
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I handle all the accounting at my work and my boss who has been an amex user since 1987 has had many ridiculous changes to her accounts from AMEX.  She had all 3 scores over 810 in October.  Since October, they have gone down to high 700's due to her losing $45000 in personal available credit.

1) cancelled her $78,000 business capital line(which they just stopped offering the product)

2)Personal Blue was $40000 now at $15000 (havent had balance since 2003)

3)Business Delta Reserve was reduced from $45,000 to $25000(always pif, only used for delta flights)

4)Blue for Business was $80000, now $50000(no balance)

5)Personal Costco AMEX was $30000 now $10000.

6)had her platimum business card decline twice (pay in full every month... average $60,000 a month due to paying for all product on it to get points)

In all the letters she receives, it gives a list of reasons that "may" have influenced there decision.  And the phone calls always end with the amex person saying"oh we are doing this to everyone" ... what a way to treat loyal customers huh 

And I had to fax all the paperwork for her after she got  the wonderful financial review phonecall in both Sept and in November.  Even in the bad economy her business has increased sales by 40% and her personal income has gone up 50%.  Now I can understand when people leave high balances and apply for a lot of cards but I really do not think that  they need to decrease her $95000.  just doesnt make sense

Message 16 of 26
Mark_in_Pasadena
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I handle all the accounting at my work and my boss who has been an amex user since 1987 has had many ridiculous changes to her accounts from AMEX.  She had all 3 scores over 810 in October.  Since October, they have gone down to high 700's due to her losing $45000 in personal available credit.

1) cancelled her $78,000 business capital line(which they just stopped offering the product)

2)Personal Blue was $40000 now at $15000 (havent had balance since 2003)

3)Business Delta Reserve was reduced from $45,000 to $25000(always pif, only used for delta flights)

4)Blue for Business was $80000, now $50000(no balance)

5)Personal Costco AMEX was $30000 now $10000.

6)had her platimum business card decline twice (pay in full every month... average $60,000 a month due to paying for all product on it to get points)

In all the letters she receives, it gives a list of reasons that "may" have influenced there decision.  And the phone calls always end with the amex person saying"oh we are doing this to everyone" ... what a way to treat loyal customers huh 

And I had to fax all the paperwork for her after she got  the wonderful financial review phonecall in both Sept and in November.  Even in the bad economy her business has increased sales by 40% and her personal income has gone up 50%.  Now I can understand when people leave high balances and apply for a lot of cards but I really do not think that  they need to decrease her $95000.  just doesnt make sense

I don't understand why someone would need $273,000 worth of personal revolving credit.  Obviously neither does AMEX now that they're getting burned by people overextending themselves in these tough times. 

In the past 6 years, when people would spend more than they could pay back on credit cards, they would just hit their HOME ATM through a HELOC withdrawal.  Then when they couldn't handle the HELOC payments, they would just refinance it all into a new loan, with cash out of course.  The party is over with millions of Americans no longer able to use their home as an ATM, and unsecured creditors such as AMEX are the first to experience massive defaults.  Thus, they're lowering all these excessive credit lines to more manageable and reasonable levels.

She still has over $100,000 in unsecured credit from AMEX, which is extremely generous & more reasonable than $273,000. 

Here's a sample of someone who withdrew close to $1 million from their HOME ATM: http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/shady-canyon-heloc-abuse/ .  I'm sure they probably also had $250k worth of revolving credit available to them as well, with perfect payment history.  That is, until the housing bubble burst and they are left with a home that's worth a lot less than what they owe.  At that point, their last resort is to abuse the $250k of AMEX unsecured credit since the HOUSING ATM well has run dry.

Because of people like those profiled in the link above, even honest, successful, PIF executives need to understand that AMEX is in self-preservation mode during hard times when they cut an unreasonable $273k total of unsecured credit to $100k+ of unsecured credit.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Mark in Pazerdener said!
Message 18 of 26
marty56
Super Contributor

@Mark_in_Pasadena wrote:

Because of people like those profiled in the link above, even honest, successful, PIF executives need to understand that AMEX is in self-preservation mode during hard times when they cut an unreasonable $273k total of unsecured credit to $100k+ of unsecured credit.

LOL, if any CCC was stupid enough to give me that much credit, DW would kill me.  To me a reasonable amount of unsecured credit is one that could be paid off in a year or less.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

mark, I guess 100,000 is good enough for personal credit. But when a person works for a long time to make their credit perfect, and then one company gets scared and starts decreasing the amount of money they once trusted you with, and have an effect on your credit score(ya stil might be really really good), just isnt right. And an update on AMEX. I went into my office on Friday and my boss called AMEX while I was there. She talked to a supervisor at the platimum concierge # and then got transfered to the credit service side and after getting transfered a few more times foudn the right person to talk to. She told amex if they didnt give her her credit lines back she would cancel all of her cards and never use amex again. they re-instated all the original credit lines except for her blue for business. so maybe more people might be able to do this.
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.