Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX gave me a Heart attack!!!

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: AMEX gave me a Heart attack!!!

@bluesnowman wrote:

Hiline- I started my credit journey in April 2012. Got a BOFA Cash Rewards card with a 700$ limit. Let small amounts report every month, and then on October 27th applied for both the Discover More and the Citi Forward at the same time, Instant approval for both cards with 1,500 limits. Decided to be a little bold and on November 24th, decided to go for my first Amex, the PRG. Was Instantly approved for that one as well, and then at the same time I applied for the Chase Freedom, and was denied. Reason was that they wanted to see a year of history and everything else looked okay. Gardened for the next 5-6 months, and on May 1st, re-applied for the Freedom, got instant approval this time, with a 2,400 limit. Then decided how I was going to app again or garden, gardened for a month before deciding that I wanted a travel card. Applied for the Southwest card (Plus) and was given another instant approval, logged into my accounts, and found out my limit was 3.6k. I plan to go for the Marriott Premier, Amex BCE, and maybe the Fidelity Amex in about 6 months, and I am planning to close my PRG since I think my SW will be more beneficial to me. (my EX also needs to recover a little bit from all the inquiries, after 6 months the effect from the inquiries won't be as bad.) I have a Roth IRA with Fidelity as well.I don't have any baddies (perfect payment history, only thing killing me is income, AAOA, and inquiries (this isn't so bad, it'll fade) the AAOA OTOH will take time and my income will go up in a couple of years I hope. I do have a student checking account and savings account with Chase, but my BOFA is my primary one (Chase has my extra money from OT at work+birthday money+whatever else extra money I have) and I am planning to fund my IRA slowly over time. My entire expirience is right here on this forum (you can view my posts and read them) and creditcardforum (that is where I was learning about credit at first.) If there is anything else, feel free to ask me. 

Well done, bluesnowman! Like you, I noticed the dramatic attitude change in Chase once you cross the 1-year mark. When did you apply for the Amex cards that they didn't approve you for? Hope you get better luck next time!

Message 21 of 27
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I think with Chase, they just want to see what your all about-can you handle paying on time for at least a year, and not ask for too much credit or make mistakes early? once you pass that phase, Chase either likes you or they don't. To answer your question, I've been since April of this year, once a month, and each time I've been denied. I'll give it six months and try again, or else I'll come back after a year and try again with them and see if there's any change. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 22 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 23 of 27
eviLution
Established Contributor

Congrats!!!

This thread makes my trigger finger itch so badly!!! because my credit profile is very similiar to yours and my oldest account is about to hit 1 year in July!

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 24 of 27
bobkabob
Established Member

Thats awesome! Congrats.

I'm also 18 and just got the Amex Gold. If I would've read this, I wouldve app'd for the BCE too! Smiley Frustrated

As for Chase, don't app until your credit file is at least one year. they denied me with 11 months history.

Message 25 of 27
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@jonathan0y wrote:

My annual income is 48k. I am now wondering should i ask for 24k when the 61 day 3xCLI comes up. 

Congrats! That is simply awesome! What line of work are you in? I know I didn't make $48k at 18. Hah! 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 26 of 27
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@WLRK11 wrote:

@jonathan0y wrote:

My annual income is 48k. I am now wondering should i ask for 24k when the 61 day 3xCLI comes up. 

Congrats! That is simply awesome! What line of work are you in? I know I didn't make $48k at 18. Hah! 

I was wondering the same thing too. Congrats though!

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.