Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX green shows credit limit online

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX green shows credit limit online

Checked my AMEX green card online this morning. Instead of reading "No Pre-Set Limit" like it normally does, that field now contains "$1437 available credit". Outstanding balance is $62.60 so far this month. I pay it in full each and every month, usually within 24 hours of the statement closing. My highest balance ever was $1116, which was paid in full right away. Why are they reporting credit limit now?

The only thing I can think of is that I recently applied for and was approved for sign & travel/extended payments and flexible options. Does that cause the actual credit limit to be displayed??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Roodog2k
Established Member

Re: AMEX green shows credit limit online

I cannot find the field that says "No pre-set spending limit" on my account for the green card.

Could you direct me to it?

Message 2 of 6
Roodog2k
Established Member

OHHHH   Nevermind... I see it, right underneath the balance.  Duh...Smiley Tongue
Message 3 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Phouchg wrote:
Checked my AMEX green card online this morning. Instead of reading "No Pre-Set Limit" like it normally does, that field now contains "$1437 available credit". Outstanding balance is $62.60 so far this month. I pay it in full each and every month, usually within 24 hours of the statement closing. My highest balance ever was $1116, which was paid in full right away. Why are they reporting credit limit now?

The only thing I can think of is that I recently applied for and was approved for sign & travel/extended payments and flexible options. Does that cause the actual credit limit to be displayed??

I thought Charge cards does not have preset spending limit.  Interesting you could find out it on your account.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though there is no "pre-set" spending limit there is apparently an "exposure limit" which is a secret maximum amount that may be charged per month. This changes based on income, payment history etc.

I do know that when I got the card in May I attempted a small charge that would have put my monthly amount over $500. It was declined so I called AMEX and they approved it. The next month I topped out over $1000, but paid it 24 hours after the statement closed - so I suspect that being a new cardholder I had to establish a bit of a pattern before having a higher exposure limit.

Message 5 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Phouchg wrote:
Even though there is no "pre-set" spending limit there is apparently an "exposure limit" which is a secret maximum amount that may be charged per month. This changes based on income, payment history etc.

I do know that when I got the card in May I attempted a small charge that would have put my monthly amount over $500. It was declined so I called AMEX and they approved it. The next month I topped out over $1000, but paid it 24 hours after the statement closed - so I suspect that being a new cardholder I had to establish a bit of a pattern before having a higher exposure limit.

Yes, you are right. As the credit experience built with them, they will increase the limits.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.