Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX initial credit limit

tag
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX initial credit limit

I don't know why some people are afraid to carry a balance on Amex, if it's a revolver.  I've been carrying a balance since end of july about 3k.  They even given me a auto-cli of 2k on my TE card a few weeks ago.

Message 11 of 31
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is what are some typical initial credit limits??

Credit and income determine limit.  You can't just rely on what others get to tell you what you would get.  As suggested above you can Google and review the credit pulls database and that's about as close as it gets to what you're asking for.

@Anonymous wrote:

Then does a CLI after 60 days.

AmEx isn't guaranteed to grant a CLI after 60 days.  You can request a CLI after 60 days.  Definitely read the 3x CLI Guide.  It should be linked in the Helpful Threads sticky.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never heard anyone on here BT to an AMEX before.

I have.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was under the impression everyone is terrified of carrying a balance on AMEX.

A lot of people rely on the notion that "AmEx hates balances" but that's a gross oversimplification.  A lot people are also concerned that any action they take may trigger an FR.  You always have to consider the source.

Message 12 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You takeshi74 for the input, i am new to this site and appreciate any and all feedback!

Message 13 of 31
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

My stats were nearly identical to yours in June 2013 when I applied. They started me at $9,500. 

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You lhcole77! i know its hard to predict what CL im must trying to gather as much info as possible.

Message 15 of 31
taxi818
Super Contributor

@ways2go wrote:

I don't know why some people are afraid to carry a balance on Amex, if it's a revolver.  I've been carrying a balance since end of july about 3k.  They even given me a auto-cli of 2k on my TE card a few weeks ago.

Yes overrated the talk here. I carried balance. Got my 3x cli despite balance.  As far as how much you get. Amex has it's own determination. I got 3500starting on delta.  Now at 10.500 in 2 months. So who knows. 

Message 16 of 31
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

A lot of people rely on the notion that "AmEx hates balances" but that's a gross oversimplification.  A lot people are also concerned that any action they take may trigger an FR.  You always have to consider the source.

+1000

AMEX would not offer revolving credit if they were not OK with people carrying balances and/or BT.  The fact that they have expanded their offerings of revolving credit products in recent years proves that they make PLENTY of money from these cards.  

Banks care about two things: Making money and managing their risk.  But making money definitely takes precedent.  So if they are making money from you, and you are not showing yourself to be a major credit risk, they will continue to grant credit.

Takeshi is so right about considering sources.  OP, take every absolute delaration you read with a grain of salt.  If you read posts on here from someone about how their bank "screwed them" and closed their account "for no reason" even though they have an 800 score, 3% UTL, and make $150K/year...they are either a) not telling the whole story or b) have extremely unusual spending which triggered red flags.  If you are a normal credit consumer; pay on time keep your overall UTL at a reasonable level, and use your cards in predictible ways, you have little to fear.

Message 17 of 31
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

+1000

AMEX would not offer revolving credit if they were not OK with people carrying balances and/or BT.  The fact that they have expanded their offerings of revolving credit products in recent years proves that they make PLENTY of money from these cards.  

Banks care about two things: Making money and managing their risk.  But making money definitely takes precedent.  So if they are making money from you, and you are not showing yourself to be a major credit risk, they will continue to grant credit.

Takeshi is so right about considering sources.  OP, take every absolute delaration you read with a grain of salt.  If you read posts on here from someone about how their bank "screwed them" and closed their account "for no reason" even though they have an 800 score, 3% UTL, and make $150K/year...they are either a) not telling the whole story or b) have extremely unusual spending which triggered red flags.  If you are a normal credit consumer; pay on time keep your overall UTL at a reasonable level, and use your cards in predictible ways, you have little to fear.

Very true...my boyfriend carried a maxed out balance of 1.8k on a 2k card for years making only minimum payments. He BT'd to a 0% card and finally paid it off just a few months ago. He has no lates/baddies/etc so he was never CLD/AA'd. I take everything on here with a grain of salt (as well as the rest of the internet) as there is often more to the story than posters might let on. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 18 of 31
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

I applied for that card 4 months ago. 80k income, 760 score, 13% ratio, AAoA 3.6 and was approved for $5500 with a 3x cli to $16500 last month.

Message 19 of 31
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I am interested in applying for an AMEX card as it is one of the few main cards i do not have. My question is what are some typical initial credit limits??

My info:

FICO 779

Experian 752

UTIL: less than 10%

AVG Age: 4 years

Household Income: approx. 110K

No bankrupt, collections, delinqt.

No missed payments

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was expecting $2K on my BCE maybe $5K if I was lucky. I got $11,100.00 instantly. My scores are higher than yours but only $33K income. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.