Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX invitation / targeted offers inside online account

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

AMEX invitation / targeted offers inside online account

Hi,

I've got a couple of offers from AMEX. They're located in the same place where I generally see AMEX deals.

I have a BCE. They're offering me

(a) an upgrade to BCP, no bonus apparently, but the rewards and AF are the same as the BCP

(b) an app to Platinum, with a 50k MR points / 5k spend / 3 months sign-up bonus, $450 AF and the other perks as the Plat (like the $200 Airline credit etc.)

The second offer's pricing terms has the verbiage "prescreened offer, if you want to opt out then blah blah.." in case it mattered.

First off, I'm not applying for either. First one doesn't make sense to me; there's no bonus and I'm better off with the no AF BCE + Sallie Mae. I don't travel enough to justify the Plat. Also, got the CSP a few months ago and most of the points are just lying there on the account; didn't get time to plan a redemption properly. Another 50k points will sit and languish and I won't be able to justify the AF. 

My question is, are these offers simply marketing, or is there something more to it? AMEX SPs me on an average 3 times a month. If there is (at some point) a card that shows up there on my offers list that is enticing enough, should I apply? Is this an "SP if declined, HP if accepted" offer?

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.