Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX is now sending out new cards with EMV chips

tag
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX is now sending out new cards with EMV chips

@p- wrote:

alvon123 wrote:...CSR also stated that all charge cards as well as the Delta Skymiles cards will now be issued with EMV chips to customers who get replacement cards...

Cool.  I got an EMV chip-n-sig on my Unicorn last year, but I had to ask for it.  I wonder how long before my other cards will have it?

I've seen a lot of terminals ready to receive them, but none that worked so far.

Yesterday while at Walmart,  a customer in front of me was using a credit card with the EMV chip  and it took about 3 minutes for the Walmart cashier to process the card.

(card kept getting ejected from the reader and the customer was unsure of the process of using the card)

Message 11 of 25
jd352
Regular Contributor

Amex randomly sent my wife a platinum card with an EMV chip... just because. No reason, we didn't request it. Didn't inquire. They just sent it. She's an AU though, mine is the main. They didn't send me one. In the end, she didn't want to activate the new card because she thought the chip thing looked ugly. lol. Both of our ED cards have EMV though. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 12 of 25
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@alvon123 wrote:

@ForMyBiz wrote:

@alvon123 wrote:

Called American Express yesterday to get my member since date changed on my Amex Green and Delta Gold Skymiles cards. 

The CSR said they would reissue both cards with the correct MSD and both cards will now have EMV chips.

(CSR also stated that all charge cards as well as the Delta Skymiles cards will now be issued with EMV chips to customers who get replacement cards, and that all Delta Skymile cards will NO LONGER have a foreign Transaction fee).

This is Chip and Sig, correct?

From what I researched on Amex site it will be Chip and Sig  and not chip and pin  https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/chip/signature.html

ahh ok,  thanks.  I was debating requesting for a trip to France in Dec. (and might still), but I'd really like to have a chip and pin card.   Oh well, the added security here at home will be nice anyways once most retailers start using the technology.

Message 13 of 25
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@jd352 wrote:

Amex randomly sent my wife a platinum card with an EMV chip... just because. No reason, we didn't request it. Didn't inquire. They just sent it. She's an AU though, mine is the main. They didn't send me one. In the end, she didn't want to activate the new card because she thought the chip thing looked ugly. lol. Both of our ED cards have EMV though. 

lol, this sounds like something my wife would say as well. hmmm.... they're going to have to work on the aesthetics if they want the US F population to accept the upgraded technology.

Message 14 of 25
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Will BCE be getting chipped?

Message 15 of 25
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

My BCP has a chip so I am assuming if you ask for one, AMEX will probably be mailing you one. 

Message 16 of 25
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Pat94108 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

My BCP has a chip so I am assuming if you ask for one, AMEX will probably be mailing you one. 

My BCP has no chip. Did you have to ask for it?

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 17 of 25
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

My BCP has no chip. Did you have to ask for it?

Yes, I did. I asked for one some time in May. The CSR wanted to overnight it, but I asked him to have it mailed via regular mail and he gave me the exact date I'd be receiving it and I did. All in all, pretty smooth. I really thought Amex offered chip on all their cards now. 

Message 18 of 25
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

@ForMyBiz wrote:

@jd352 wrote:

lol, this sounds like something my wife would say as well. hmmm.... they're going to have to work on the aesthetics if they want the US F population to accept the upgraded technology.

Really?  The US F population?  I think it's Americans in general, which is just as embarassing.  I don't know how many I've seen talk about their 'cool metal cards' or how 'awesome looking' the Zync was.  Or how many people just apply for a card because of how it looks. 

18k10k7.6k10k10k5k5.6k1.7k2k
Federal CU PLOC: $5k
Scores, Dec. 2014- TU: 755 EX: 763 EQ: 757
Last App: 12/8/14. In the garden until Jan 2016, getting "mortgage" ready.
Message 19 of 25
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@alvon123 wrote:

Called American Express yesterday to get my member since date changed on my Amex Green and Delta Gold Skymiles cards. 

The CSR said they would reissue both cards with the correct MSD and both cards will now have EMV chips.

(CSR also stated that all charge cards as well as the Delta Skymiles cards will now be issued with EMV chips to customers who get replacement cards, and that all Delta Skymile cards will NO LONGER have a foreign Transaction fee).

Is the Green card worth it? I am looking in the possiblity of getting a Charge card since it has NPSL

There is a limit and the green card is not worth it IMO.  However, if you are having issues meeting the spend requirements I. Your new TLs, maybe it's time to rethink why you are apping so much.  

Just my .02 

Well yes there is a Limit but as far as Credit reports are concrned goes which is important for me. Wasn't going to app for it now or any time soon but was considering closing 1-3 lines and getting that card next year.  As far as meeting the spend requirements I will be hitting the CSP for sure and Amex  cards but I view little incentive to hit the TYP card and Marriott points are almost useless to me. Don't  travel a lot and the Free annual night is what compelled me to app for it. 

What? You do realise Marriott points = free nights right? 70k points is two nights in times square, or four nights in other cities. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.