cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX isn't holding their end of the bargain.

tag
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

AMEX isn't holding their end of the bargain.

AMEX isn't holding their end of the bargain, the Amazon Prime that is. I got the $50 a few months back, however they claim they sent the email which included the Amazon Prime link and code for the bonus. I checked the junk mailbox for this email many a times. I wouldn't have deleted this email because I read all emails before deleting. Even had I deleted it, I can see every email that was deleted for the past 12 months. This is the third time I have connected with a representative via online chat. All three of these AMEX employees send it to be "investigated" and that I should receive a email within 24-48 hours, however I never get these emails about what the "investigation" concluded. It's strange how I get emails about bill reminders and what not, but when it comes to customer service like "investigating" and holding their end of the bargain, there's no email to be found. I'm honestly getting tired of pursuing this. I figured third times a charm, except it looks like I'll be contacting EO on Monday. I hope those don't fall into the same problem I'm having. If you would like to see the chat, it's below and I color coded to it's easier to read. Red is the Amex representative "Smith" and Blue is "me" of course. I have a screen shot of the bonus offer, but you've seen one you've seem all.

Oh, and this doesn't seem to be a rare occurrence. A quick Google search shows that this has happened to many including some here in the myFICO community. Here are a few below, however there are more out there.

Amazon BCE: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cash-Everyday®-American-Express/dp/B007YXFPJM

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-won-t-honor-bonus-sign-up-offer-for-BCE/td-p/31595...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/amex-bluecash-and-everyday-card-s-amazon-prime/td-p/373...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Be-cautious-of-AMEX-and-Amazon-Prime-offer/td-p/2871661

End Chat

Welcome to American Express Live Chat! The next available Customer Care Professional will be with you shortly.

For quality assurance, this chat may be recorded and monitored. For your security, please click “End Chat” to close this chat window before leaving your computer unattended or when chat is complete. Your estimated wait time is 0 minutes and 2 seconds.

You are now chatting with Smith.

Smith
Hi, welcome to American Express Chat. My name is Smith. I see the reason you are chatting in.

Smith
I'll be more than happy to help you with this.

Smith
Am I chatting with XXXXXXXXXX?

Smith
We have not heard from you for some time. Do you wish to continue to chat?

Smith
If we do not hear from you, the chat will disconnect automatically.

Smith
Please type a "Hi" or "Hello"..

You
Hey Smith!

Smith
Hello, thanks for replying.

Smith
I am sorry about the automated messages received by you while there was no response.

Smith
Am I chatting with XXXXXXXXXX?

You
It's okay. I didn't think I would connect with someone this quickly.

You
Correct.

Smith
Thanks for confirming.

Smith
Are you looking for the amazon prime code?

You
Yes, I never received it.

Smith
I apologize for the inconvenience, let me take care of this for you right away.

You
Okay, thank you very much.

Smith
You're welcome.

Smith
Thank you for waiting...

Smith
I have initiated an investigation for you, regarding this so that the email should be sent to you again.

Smith
You will have all the details on your e-mail address registered with us.

Smith

You can contact us within 48-72 hours to check the status for your request.

You
Smith, I'm tired of these investigations. This is the third time and it's honestly leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

You
None of these investigations responded either.

You
Is there something I did wrong or are you all trying to get out of giving me what was offered?

Smith
I totally agree with you...

Smith
As a consumer myself I would be just as upset if placed in this position, and can assure you that this is not indicative of American Express's world class service.

You
I have a screen shot and I got the $50 already.

You
I'm glad you understand.

Smith
I assure you I will not leave any stone unturned to get this resolved for you.... I am sending this inquiry to the correct department.

Smith
Thank you. Glad to be of service to you.

You
I typically read all of the disclosures like the ifs, buts and have nots. I don't see anything I'm missing.

You
I have an Amazon account, but it's not Prime. AMEX is supposed to give me a code in an email to a direct link and I put the code in, correct?

Smith
You are eligible for the Amazon Prime offer as well and we had already emailed the same on January 21, 2015...

You
So it shows you all have emailed me already?

Smith
Yes, on January 21, 2015.

You
What email do you have on file?

Smith
We will not be able to release the email address...

Smith

You can tell me the email address and I can verify it for you...

Smith
Please tell me your email address?

You
I'll call the EO on Monday and get this straightened out.

You
xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

Smith
Thank you!

Smith
That is the correct email address.

Smith
And the code was sent to the same email address.

You
800-297-6197

You
That's the EO number correct?

You
Strange.

Smith
That is correct.

You
I'm guessing they're only in during the week?

Smith
That is correct, they are available from Monday to Friday.

You
Okay, thank you. I'll try giving them a call. I definitely wouldn't have deleted it. If I had, it would have been in the deleted folder. Checked spam, not there. So I don't know. Thank you for your help.

Smith
You are welcome!

You
I'm Googling. I see a few people are saying you need to buy Prime and then they essentially reimburse you? Was this what I was suppose to do?

Smith
Let me check the offer details...

Smith
Thank you for waiting...

You
Thank you.

Smith
Yes, current Amazon Prime members are eligible for this offer. If you are a current Amazon Prime member, your complimentary one year of Amazon Prime will begin on your current Amazon Prime membership renewal date and you will maintain the same level of membership...

Smith
You are not required to buy Prime to get this offer.

Smith
I will give you a link which will give you more information...

Smith
Here it is...

Smith
http://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/amazon/prime-faqs.html

Smith
Or...

Smith
Just click here

You
Okay, thank you. To avoid this mess. I'm now wondering if there is any way you could give me redemption value for the year of Prime. However much it is.

Smith
I have initiated an investigation for you, regarding this so that the email should be sent to you again....

Smith
The email will have all the details including Promo code, so that you can use it further.

You
Okay Smith, thank you. Hopefully we'll get somewhere this time. Thank you for your help and have a great weekend.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX isn't holding their end of the bargain.

I never got my prime way back in early 2014. I just gave up because I grew tired of it, but I also received a $100 sign up bonus.

Good luck!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

They sent me my link for Amazon Prime.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

never got it either, so you can simply give up

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got mine alright but it came one day after I had auto renewed so now my Prime membership goes until 2017.  I've read though that this is a big issue with Amex.

Message 5 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Had a similiar experience kinda and didn't think I got it either..  Sure enough it ended up in my deleted mailbox somehow, the CSR I was chatting with also provided me with the # as well before I found it in my deleted email.. Best of luck!  Think it came 2-3 weeks after I met my spend on my ED card

Message 6 of 22
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

I won't reply to all responses, however I spoke to an EO. He said I got the email on Jan. 21, 2015. However, it seems like he couldn't find the email that he says they sent. He did indeed see that I was included in promotion and found it strange that I got the $50, but not the Amazon Prime. I didn't want to bother an EO about this, however he told me that, "I called the right number." Haha, I didn't tell him how I got the phone number though. He said, "I will look into this for you personally and should be getting a hold of you before I leave at 7 PM." I took down his extension and name just in case. Hopefully AMEX lives up to their, "World Class Service."

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IFtkkdx428 wrote:

I won't reply to all responses, however I spoke to an EO. He said I got the email on Jan. 21, 2015. However, it seems like he couldn't find the email that he says they sent. He did indeed see that I was included in promotion and found it strange that I got the $50, but not the Amazon Prime. I didn't want to bother an EO about this, however he told me that, "I called the right number." Haha, I didn't tell him how I got the phone number though. He said, "I will look into this for you personally and should be getting a hold of you before I leave at 7 PM." I took down his extension and name just in case. Hopefully AMEX lives up to their, "World Class Service."

Will keep fingers crossed for you... Keep us posted on results...

Message 8 of 22
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@IFtkkdx428 wrote:

Will keep fingers crossed for you... Keep us posted on results...

Thank you and will do!

Message 9 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

I got amazon prime on my BCP. Then it auto renewed and I had receieved the amex everyday card which also has an amazon prime offer. Amex sent me the code for the second card. I entered the code and it extended my prime membership an extra year. Then I contacted amazon and told them I didn't want to pay for the membership because I I had the code for another free year. They said fine. However, amazon promptly cancelled my prime account (I got a credit for the money the had autop-billed me) but then they totally closed the account. I contacted amazon and was told I can't use the code for a second year (even though it was a totally different card product). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.