cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX just decreased my credit limit?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX just decreased my credit limit?

@Revelate wrote:

That's interesing Dustin, where did you find that?

I googled "amex merchant fee percentage." That was in one of the results.

The fee will differ with different processors, but I thought that one broke it down pretty well.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Dustink wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

That's interesing Dustin, where did you find that?

I googled "amex merchant fee percentage." That was in one of the results.

The fee will differ with different processors, but I thought that one broke it down pretty well.

Good find, thanks!

        
Message 22 of 47
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Amex may offer revolvers in order to stay competitive, but at their core they are still a charge card company. All of their algorithms were perfected in the charge card market long before being adapted to the revolving credit market. As a result, the system is still biased towards both a spend-centric model and a PIF model. That is just reality. If you are someone who carries balances long term, the Amex products are not the best choice. OTOH, Citi loves that sort of pattern and will reward you with growing limits over time. For those of us who PIF routinely, Amex rewards us better than companies like Citi.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 23 of 47
CS800
Super Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

Amex doesn't like it when you carry a balance. 

I'd say you're lucky they didn't close it. 

I would have to disagree with that. I carried about 20% balance on my BCE for a while and never got CLD  Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 47
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

This is an interesting thread. Because of the anecdotal info on the forums, and my personal needs, I have never carried a balance on AMEX. However, I have other lower interest options if I needed to carry a balance. AMEX recently had a survey they emailed to cardmembers, mine was specifically about my PRG (which I am seriously thinking about closing in Feb, when the AF hits). The questions were all geared towards carrying a balance (I have the extended pay option - or whatever they call it, since I never use it). They asked about what cards I used most often, and if I carried a balance from month to month. They also asked why the AMEX card was not my first choice to use. They seemed to be focused on getting people to carry a balance with them. There were questions like, "are you aware that you can carry a balance on your PRG with a low interest rate of 15.24%, " etc. This being said, because I rarely use my AMEX's for larger purchases (over $1500 at a time), I usually would not need to carry a balance.

This a perfect example of how a card issuer may treat one consumer one way, then do the exact opposite with someone else. I don't know if their actions can be understood. Everytime I see one of these threads (about AA by an issuer) I go check my accounts, out of habit. There does seem to be some correlation between increased utilization/carrying a balance and AA/CLD's (by some CC issuers), just based on what I read on the forums. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 25 of 47
TheConductor
Established Contributor

It's important to bear in mind that OP had a balance of $2000 on the card "a few years back" which was only recently reduced to $1200.

I don't think it takes any special "AmEx weirdness" to explain this particular case.

Any creditor is going to get wary if it takes you ~3 years to make an $800 dent in your balance, and that's still less than half of it.

Emptypockets is correct, though, that AA by a lender is often personalized to a particular borrower. There's a lot more to your risk profile than you may realize, especially with AmEx, who serve as both the issuer and the network. They have a lot of data on their borrowers, and I am sure they are constantly crunching the numbers on every dollar you spend, pay, or carry. A lot of the time, AA like this is not a simple cause-and-effect (I carried a balance higher than 60% of my limit therefore they balance chased me with a CLD), but is more of a complex function of many variables. (A + B to the power of Q over X = Z. If it's a sunny day and Z is an odd number, you get a CLD  Smiley Happy  )

All the anecdotal evidence in the world isn't going to make it a sure thing that we can engrave a rule like "Carrying a balance with AmEx is fine as long as it's for less than 6 months." Every anecdote is coming from a different person with a different credit history, income, employment history, spending pattern, and specific history with AmEx. It's virtually impossible to generalize.

What can be generalized are basic rules of sound financial management of your personal credit. One of those is: carrying a balance long-term - with the sole exception of a 0% APR period - is not good for your credit profile or your long-term financial health.

OP, I know it sucks, and I've been through it myself. Bank of America chased me down from $2000 to $500 with CLDs, and I wasn't even carrying a balance. But I'm sure I was doing something that set off warning bells in their spreadsheets. So all I can do - and all I can advise you to do - is continue to manage my credit as prudently as I can and hope that they take notice. 

If you want to try to recon the CLD, I don't have direct experience of doing that with AmEx but I expect you'll get the best results by first paying the balance down to zero, and then calling them as soon as humanly possible after the payment posts. You want to catch them before they have a chance to do another CLD and talk to them about returning you to your original credit limit or at the very least stopping their chase where it is.

Best of luck to you!

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

So let me get this straight.  You borrowed money from someone (Amex), paid it back very slowly (2yrs), and then started asking other people for money too (Nordstrom/Penfed)?

Put yourself in their shoes.  If you lent someone a bunch of money, how would you act if they took forever to pay you back and then asked other people for money before paying you back?  I'm sure you'd probably be a little concerned, and might hesitate to lend them a lot of money anytime soon again...or ever again.

Amex is pickier than most.  Whether they are worth the "hassle" is up to you.  If you treat them like a prime lender, they'll treat you like a prime borrower.  If not...well, this is what happens (or worse).

Message 27 of 47
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Wow Dustink, you're the bomb... That's really cool that you found that...

Either way, while TBills are yielding <2%, Amex is guaranteed <2% just on merchant fees hahhaha!!! ;-)

LOL Ive increases my cc bals a lot recently but I always make big payments and keep util low... I think that's the key...well just all of it.. Limit credit usage; build aaoa; don't carry too many bals. Lol I have a Chase card from 09 that I closed that I still am paying on... Never has caused me any problems. The interest rate is only 9.24%; in no hurry to pay it. Haha.

Anywho... My .02 lol....:-D
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 28 of 47
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Meant >2%.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 29 of 47
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So let me get this straight.  You borrowed money from someone (Amex), paid it back very slowly (2yrs), and then started asking other people for money too (Nordstrom/Penfed)?

Put yourself in their shoes.  If you lent someone a bunch of money, how would you act if they took forever to pay you back and then asked other people for money before paying you back?  I'm sure you'd probably be a little concerned, and might hesitate to lend them a lot of money anytime soon again...or ever again.

Amex is pickier than most.  Whether they are worth the "hassle" is up to you.  If you treat them like a prime lender, they'll treat you like a prime borrower.  If not...well, this is what happens (or worse).

a little bit apples and oranges, isn't it?  How many "other people" that you borrow money from, charge interest?

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.