Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX late fee

tag
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

AMEX late fee

First time ever I was late on a card in years! I was late on my AMEX bced card. It was due the 15th and I just paid today. I already received a $27 dollar late fee.   Will this affect my credit score, or do I have to be 30 days late?  

I want to call AMEX and ask nicely for a credit on late fee since this was a mistake on my end, worth a try? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX late fee

Won't affect your credit score. You can likely get the fee waived by contacting AMEX. Most CC issues will have no issues with waiving a late fee, especially the first time.

Message 2 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Won't affect your credit score. You can likely get the fee waived by contacting AMEX. Most CC issues will have no issues with waiving a late fee, especially the first time.

Yes, certainly worth asking (assuming you have nothing to hide on your account!) and as Falim says, you will quite likely be successful.   

And set up autopay!

ETA: I can't remember if Amex is one of those cards that doesn't give rewards in the month that payment is late.   If you call, I would check that as well.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely worth asking them to waive the fee. If you've been a good customer for years, they probably will.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Outdoorstech1 wrote:

First time ever I was late on a card in years! I was late on my AMEX bced card. It was due the 15th and I just paid today. I already received a $27 dollar late fee.   Will this affect my credit score, or do I have to be 30 days late?  

I want to call AMEX and ask nicely for a credit on late fee since this was a mistake on my end, worth a try? 

Call and ask them to reverse/credit the late fee. The worse they can say is no. Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

I had called that same day, they refunded me late fee. YAY Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.