cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - looking for advice for next steps..

tag
dogblood
Established Member

AMEX - looking for advice for next steps..

Hi Everyone !

First off want to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this board - I've learned alot about the credi scoring system, and I'm sure I will learn a ton more as I continue scouring this board for "gems".

I am new to the US - came here as an Intercompany transfer  - After reading through the forums I made what I thought was an educated decision to open my first US bank account with DCU.  

Along with my checking account, at the advice of posts on this board and the online chat asistant I applied for the unsecured VISA card.  I was a bit nervois as I had only gotten my SSN a couple of days ago - but figured everyone must start somewhere right?

A few hours later I was approved with an initial credit limit of 3k! 

Now what I want to do is strategize on my plan over the next year, and beyond.  I would imagine I need more than 1 TL to build and establish a strong credit profile.

Having said this, I think obtaining an AMEX card is great because even if I start small the AAoA will benefit me as my credit grows.  

I have a substantial income, and very stable job -- Do you think AMEX is the right choice? should I go for another type of card ?  What about timing? I want to get into a space where I'm gardening 2-3 TL as early as possible. (im an efficiency freak).

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again for all of the great insight!

Gardening since: 09/27/2013 Goal: Golden spade
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX - looking for advice for next steps..

Welcome to the forums !

I'll move this post to Credit Cards forum for better visibility.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
bman86
Regular Contributor

@dogblood wrote:

Hi Everyone !

First off want to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this board - I've learned alot about the credi scoring system, and I'm sure I will learn a ton more as I continue scouring this board for "gems".

I am new to the US - came here as an Intercompany transfer  - After reading through the forums I made what I thought was an educated decision to open my first US bank account with DCU.  

Along with my checking account, at the advice of posts on this board and the online chat asistant I applied for the unsecured VISA card.  I was a bit nervois as I had only gotten my SSN a couple of days ago - but figured everyone must start somewhere right?

Now what I want to do is strategize on my plan over the next year, and beyond.  I would imagine I need more than 1 TL to build and establish a strong credit profile.

Having said this, I think obtaining an AMEX card is great because even if I start small the AAoA will benefit me as my credit grows.  

I have a substantial income, and very stable job -- Do you think AMEX is the right choice? should I go for another type of card ?  What about timing? I want to get into a space where I'm gardening 2-3 TL as early as possible. (im an efficiency freak).

Can you give us a little more info on when you applied for CC with DCU? Is this your only current tradeline?

Message 3 of 13
dogblood
Established Member

hehe I'm brand new, the DCU app happened yesterday. Got my SSN last Saturday. Got to America July 15, 2013.  So far I think I'm making good progress!

Message 4 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dogblood wrote:

Hi Everyone !

Welcome to the forum Congrats on your achievements thus farSmiley Wink

If you really want an Amex card you will have to show CC history and the only way to do this is with time 

Amex will deny you at this point of your credit history due to not enough time managing CC's 

I would suggest you wait 9-12 months always paying on time, never ever late and apply after that time

Good luck and welcome to the USA as well

Edit spelling Ooops

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 13
bman86
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@dogblood wrote:

Hi Everyone !

Welcome to the forum Congrats on your achievements thus farSmiley Wink

If you really want an Amex card you will have to show CC history and the only way to do this is with time 

Amex will deny you at this point of your credit history due to not enough time managing CC's 

I would suggest you wait 9-12 months always paying on time, never ever late and apply after that time

Good luck and welcome to the USA as well

Edit spelling Ooops

+1 I would definitely wait and develop some payment history before applying with Amex.

Message 6 of 13
dogblood
Established Member

thanks! I wasn't planning on applying for it anytime soon, so 9-12 months - anything else I should do other than garden the card I have now?

**edited - fixed typo (red)

Message 7 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dogblood wrote:

thanks! I wasn't planning on applying for it anytime soon, so 9-12 months - anything else I should other than garden the card I have now?

That's all you need is to show Amex you can manage the card you have and this will open doors to all lenders

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 13
bman86
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@dogblood wrote:

thanks! I wasn't planning on applying for it anytime soon, so 9-12 months - anything else I should other than garden the card I have now?

That's all you need is to show Amex you can manage the card you have and this will open doors to all lenders

Also something to think about while you're gardening; I'm not sure how DCU does their CLI but after having 6 months of good payment history you could request for an increase. Others might chime in here but DCU might do SPs for their CLIs.

edit: typo

Message 9 of 13
dogblood
Established Member

Another question -

Since I don't have a history - will the DCU initial inquiry post to my file? is it a freebie? Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.