Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX member since YEAR

tag
myscore1
New Contributor

AMEX member since YEAR

I have read in the forums that AMEX was no longer backdating the year of membership, but I just had a hell of a nice surprise. A few days ago I applied for PRG, Platinum and Blue Cash Preferred and was approved for all three. Once I activated  the online accounts for the PRG and BCp, the online statement read: Member since 2016. But when I added the Platinum they all changed to 1990 !!

I remember I briefly held an AMEX Platinum from my dad's account back in the day. This was great news because now I have all three new AMEX cards with an age of 27 years each! I can wait to see what it does to my score. And all this with one HP from EXP. I still can't believe it!

EQ 634 TU 628 EX 662 November 2015
EQ 717 TU 675 EX 727 January 2016
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX member since YEAR

Super congrats on this!!!  Woman Very Happy  That is definitly a positive for your score!  

Message 2 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's backdated online and on the physical card; not the credit bureaus. Sorry to say it won't help your score.
Message 3 of 49
core
Valued Contributor

Yeah unfortuntely they do not backdate at the CRAs anymore.  What the card says is irrelevant.  On the positive side, you can use that card that says 1990 to get dates with chicks who are impressed by such things*. 

* I haven't found any yet.

Message 4 of 49
myscore1
New Contributor

Thank you at the failed attempt to burst my bubble......(just kidding!) but I will be the judge of that next month when I check my credit report. I just called AMEX and asked. The super friendly agent told me that my accounts will be reported with the 1990 year. My dad must still have the same account or something. I won't speculate and I did not want to ask more. But I am going to believe the agent over my peeps....Smiley Very Happy

I will keep you all posted to see what the real deal is!! Thanks!

EQ 634 TU 628 EX 662 November 2015
EQ 717 TU 675 EX 727 January 2016
Message 5 of 49
sr383
Regular Contributor

@core wrote:

Yeah unfortuntely they do not backdate at the CRAs anymore.  What the card says is irrelevant.  On the positive side, you can use that card that says 1990 to get dates with chicks who are impressed by such things*. 

Or they'll look at that date and say, "Man, you're old!" Smiley Tongue

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 6 of 49
core
Valued Contributor

@myscore1 wrote:

But I am going to believe the agent over my peeps....Smiley Very Happy

That approach rarely works out well.  Regardless of which company we're talking about.  In general, front line agents know squat about credit reporting.  Half the time they don't even know the difference between a hard and soft pull.

Message 7 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sr383 wrote:

@core wrote:

Or they'll look at that date and say, "Man, you're old!" Smiley Tongue

They already do that.  I don't need a card for that. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myscore1 wrote:

Thank you at the failed attempt to burst my bubble......(just kidding!) but I will be the judge of that next month when I check my credit report. I just called AMEX and asked. The super friendly agent told me that my accounts will be reported with the 1990 year. My dad must still have the same account or something. I won't speculate and I did not want to ask more. But I am going to believe the agent over my peeps....Smiley Very Happy

I think we've been to the rodeo just a few more times than you have. It absolutely, positively, undeniably will not backdate the CRAs. Have fun with the date on your care though.

Message 9 of 49
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@myscore1 wrote:

We're not trying to "burst your bubble", we're just telling you how it is.

I'm a "Member Since 1995" but I missed the backdating by three weeks (they ceased backdating to the CRAs back in March 2015). 

I assure you my Amex cards did not backdate on my reports regardless of my "Member Since" date. 

You're welcome to "keep us posted", just prepare yourself not to be totally shocked when you realize we are right.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.