Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX members get HP for decline or approval

tag
mikhro
Valued Member

AMEX members get HP for decline or approval

Ok, since I've been reading a lot of information on this forum about HP and SP for Amex current members applying for a new card. I decided to speak with 2 different deparments to verify this information.

I called the "New Application" dept, and they also transfered me to the "Credit Reporting" dept. 

Both confirmed that even existing members get HP for both, declined or approved application.

I though declines only got SP, and approval got HP

Anyone want to shed light on this?

In the garden until June 2014
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX members get HP for decline or approval

@mikhro wrote:

Ok, since I've been reading a lot of information on this forum about HP and SP for Amex current members applying for a new card. I decided to speak with 2 different deparments to verify this information.

I called the "New Application" dept, and they also transfered me to the "Credit Reporting" dept. 

Both confirmed that even existing members get HP for both, declined or approved application.

Amex is a SP if denied HP if approved

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1.   The CSRs you spoke with are misinformed.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 12
mikhro
Valued Member

I guess I'll try again later and speak with other CSRs. Hopefully you're right and they are just misinformed.
What was funny was, that every time i asked her something, she'd reply: "please hold" . As she was asking someone
In the garden until June 2014
Message 4 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mikhro wrote:

Others can chime in on their outcome I'm sure.  IME all my approvals (with an already existing AMEX relationship) have all been HP.  From a lending perspective, I can certainly understand why their department would confirm the HP info since essentially anytime you are seeking new credit even with an existing AMEX relationship, it "technically" s/b considered a HP.

Message 5 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@mikhro wrote:
I guess I'll try again later and speak with other CSRs. Hopefully you're right and they are just misinformed.
What was funny was, that every time i asked her something, she'd reply: "please hold" . As she was asking someone

I doubt that you'll get any different answers.  CSRs in general are very, very often misinformed on inquiries and other credit related topics.

I've apped many times, always a HP if approved but SP if declined.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Unless things have changed recently, I know for a fact that for current customers:

SP for denials and HP for approvals

There is one exception that I can think of however:

When you first become a customer and then app for another card very shortly afterwards, you could end up with two HPs no matter what happens.  The reason for this is that AMEX hasn't had a chance to SP your account yet.  However, two HPs from same issuer isn't a big deal as they basically just age off together.  Also, if on Experian, I have had a lot of lot getting the 2nd inquiry removed as duplicate.  In my personal case, I ended up with 3 AMEXs within a month with initially 3 HPs on Experian that were reduced to 1.  So three AMEXs for the price of one HP.  Since I was backdated on AMEX, my score actually took a drastic climb up with the addition of three cards.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 12
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1 sp decline hp approve

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 8 of 12
Slab
Frequent Contributor

How about CLI, would that be a sp or hp?

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 9 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Slab wrote:

How about CLI, would that be a sp or hp?

SP

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.