Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX new card 'opened' date

tag
spambait
Established Member

AMEX new card 'opened' date

Does AMEX set the 'opened' date on a new card to the same date as your oldest card with them?  I have an old Blue Cash with them, and I wanted to change it to the Costco AMEX.  They won't convert, so I have to apply.  I'd then like to cancel the Blue Cash.  Would the 'date opened' on the Costco card be set to the date when I opened the Blue Cash?  I'm thinking years ago I read they do that.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX new card 'opened' date

It goes to the year that you first became a member and then the month you applied for the new card.

Message 2 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

... but the card itself often doesn't have the older date. You might have to ask for a second one.

The account itself will show the earlier date, regardless on the year printed on the card.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@spambait --

Is there any reason you're planning to close the Blue Cash card? In most cases, it doesn't make sense to close established credit cards that have no annual fee.

Check out this thread for more info:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

Message 4 of 7
spambait
Established Member

Thanks, but if I'm not using a card, I don't want it open -- simple as that.

They initially rejected my app because my credit reports are frozen.  I figured they'd base it on my existing history with them, but they didn't.  I had to unfreeze Experian for them, but then they approved.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They use the original open date when you first had a card with them. Here's my example. I got a card (green) in 1986 and then about 5 yers later I went through bankrupcy. Now in March of 2010 I decided to apply for the Costco Amex and was approved but when I received my card it surpsisingly showed that I had my card since 1986 and on my credit report it shows the open date as 3/1986. This one card greatly improved my credit score once it hit my credit bureaus and now that I'm going on 1 year of 100% on time payments it's like I've always had this card.

Message 6 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

@stan_the_man wrote:

@spambait --

Is there any reason you're planning to close the Blue Cash card? In most cases, it doesn't make sense to close established credit cards that have no annual fee.

Check out this thread for more info:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

To each his own, nonetheless, closing a fee free card just because it is not currently in use is quite rarely ever a good move, whimsical preferences aside-- unless one has a full grasp on the possible consequences of closure. The thread from fused on closing cards linked above is a great resource.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.