cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX...no spending limit, but you can't spend anymore...

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

AMEX...no spending limit, but you can't spend anymore...

Not upset at all, I understand their reasoning/logic but still find it kind of funny. I got an AMEX Green Card about a month ago which has no pre-set spending limit...so I've been running everything through it for both personal and business, and have $5500 on it so far. I got an email from AMEX today that they may need to temporarily suspend my account because of how much I've charged on it. Called them up and made a sizeable payment so it's all good but so much for no pre-set spending limit huh? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX...no spending limit, but you can't spend anymore...

NPSL, doesn't mean no limit. There is an internal limit based on your spending patters, income and cr profile.
Message 2 of 19
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Wouldnt recommend using personal amex card for business expenses
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 19
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Well, they do say No Preset Limit doesn't mean unlimited spending. Your internal limit will grow once they get to know your spending and repayment habits.

Nothing unusual, really. You now know what your hard limit is for the moment!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 19
broseph23
Regular Contributor

It's called no "Pre-set" for a reason because it will vary based on income and how much you charge each month, credit profile etc. The internal limit will grow over time. Also I have read that Amex does not like business charges on a personal card so be careful with that.
Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 5 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I missed that part about business spending. Definitely be careful there- you might want to add their Small Business cc, or whichever fits your profile.
Message 6 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@broseph23 wrote:
It's called no "Pre-set" for a reason because it will vary based on income and how much you charge each month, credit profile etc. The internal limit will grow over time. Also I have read that Amex does not like business charges on a personal card so be careful with that.

+1

Not only do these actions place somone under the radar but can result in the account being restricted and/or possible FR.  If you are running business expenses on the personal card, why not look into their business cards?

Message 7 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

+1 to what others have said. Out of all the lenders, American Express is probably the strictest when it comes to putting business expenses on personal cards.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 19
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
+1 to what others have said. Out of all the lenders, American Express is probably the strictest when it comes to putting business expenses on personal cards.

-1 (can we do that?) 

I'm all up in AmEx spending business on personal, personal on business to the tune of over $100K YTD just on business spending on personal cards (across 3 of them). They know it as it says JB Lumber or Eastern Steel and Aluminum for thousands at a whack. In fact I got a few of my employees added as AU to a personal Delta card and even told the CSR they were employees and it would be business expenses. She said that's fine. Good enough for me. I just got back from a business purchase of $4,300 a few minutes ago that went on that personal card and it's clearly a material wholesaler and coded as one. 

Think about it - how many business travelers out there run company expenses on personal charge cards every day all year long and get reimbursement checks monthly from the home office to pay off the card? Tons. Metric tons I bet as that may indeed be the core business demographic that makes AmEx big profit. How many employees that do this have small business charge cards? Anyone know of one example? I have a business card as I am the owner but I would gladly reimburse an employee for an expense if they needed to charge it on a personal card (as long as they are not an AU on one of my cards). 

Until someone steps up with proof that AmEx took AA because a cardholder charged a business expense on a personal card I'm not buying it. 

Mike_B03 as stated is an internal limit that they don't let you know about. No worries, it will adjust with time. At $5K or more per month it will go up rather quickly. My personal gold went from that level to well over $50K in six months. 

Message 9 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
Wouldnt recommend using personal amex card for business expenses

Totally agree, your setting yourself up for an FR.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.