Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX..now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX..now what?

I've had an Amex thru Bank of America for about a year now with a credit line of $15K.  I applied for the blue card with the hopes that they will give me the same if not better credit line, to my surprise that they only approved me for $5K.  When I explained my dissapointment, they Amex Rep told me to call in 30 days and get a LOC increased, that as long as I was asking for less that $25K, there will be no problem and that the reason it was sooo slow it was because they pick random crdit lines for people.  Today was my 30day mark and when I called, I couldn't get in touch with the same guy I had spoken to that day, supposedly at AMEX, noone could transfer me to him, but anyhow, when I explained to this lady what I was calling about, she asked me a couple of questions and when she came back told me that I was going to received a letter with explainaition, but that unfortunately they could not give me an increased, because I used to have an Amex credit card back in the 90's which had an outstanding balance of $192.00!!  She said that the last payment received was on 2000!  I did have an Amex card, which I consolidated along with other medical bills thru a consolidation Credit Agency years back, but that turned out to be a bad comapny and were taking my money, but not making the payments.
What do I do now?  She said that the BOA Amex card I have does is not thru them and that's why it didn't count.  She was going to transfer me to the dept that could give me all the info about the previous card balance, but I wasn't sure if I would be re-instating it, so i hung up.

Now what??  Is that going to be reinstated?  Where can i find out the Statue of Limitations for NY?  Well, I used to live in Connecticut back then, but now live in New York, which one do they go by and where/how I can find out what those SOL?  Are they going to start harrassing me about that $190 dollars?  Did I re-instated it?  Should I call and pay that or just let it go and ignore it even if I hear from them?  Would they add that balance to my new card?  Should I close this card even before starting it?  Would they let me close it, even if I have an outstanding balance with Amex on the old card?
PLEASE, PLEASE help!!  I've work sooo hard in getting my creddit fix, I'm sooo devastated now!  
HELP!!Smiley Sad 
Ohhhh and by the way, this old AMEX charge was not in my none of my Credit Reports when I did them last year.

Message Edited by Lynn14 on 11-09-2007 10:47 AM

Message Edited by Lynn14 on 11-09-2007 10:48 AM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
notmyname
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX..now what?

Experts ???
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always ask about the Oasis program that allows you to repay old debts.  not sure if they will for one that smal.  Did theysay you would be stock at that limit forever?  Geez
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree w/ Brammy- go for Oasis or just a reinstatement (I don't really think they do that) or try outright to pay and then get another.

The one remark I have been hearing about doing Oasis is that you get your history back- they date the new account back to when you became a member w/ them. That's some good stuff!
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

192.00 for 8+ years oh good amex history. worth every penny, plus the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from meeting an obligation.
Message 5 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@dnm45227 wrote:
plus the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from meeting an obligation.

Smiley Happy

Thank you. I always like seeing that idea posted!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@dnm45227 wrote:

Smiley Happy

lol. i was hoping i wouldn't get flamed for it.
Message 7 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@dnm45227 wrote:

dnm45227 wrote: plus the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from meeting an obligation.
Smiley Happy Thank you. I always like seeing that idea posted!
Oh, please don't tell me that you were being ironic!!! Now I am sad and disillusioned again.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dnm45227 wrote:

dnm45227 wrote: plus the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from meeting an obligation.
Smiley Happy Thank you. I always like seeing that idea posted!
Oh, please don't tell me that you were being ironic!!! Now I am sad and disillusioned again.

no. i was just hoping people wouldn't take it wrong or be offended.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dnm45227 wrote:

@dnm45227 wrote:

Smiley Happy

Not at all. I totally agree- I have two tiny ones that I am dying to pay if they would just PFD- I wish so much that they would just delete-so I am trying to negotiate. Trust me, sev. times as they are just over 230 dollars combined- I have said, what the heck- let's pay them- I am just trying my best to have them deleted.

I think CA tactics are stupid. I truly believe deep in my heart that if they would delete upon payment they would collect more money that they ever dreamed of. Most of the people I know ended up having collections because of lack of education as to what would happen if they didn't pay, followed by divorce, and medical reasons.

Med. reasons that my ins. wouldn't pay for are for the final two derogs that I have left. I was foolish enough to think that I "would not pay for the priniciple of what they were not paid for'

back to the point- aside from ridiculous fees that are added to some collections most people I talk to do wish to pay...
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.