cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX offering 50k MR points for $5k spent in 3mo to upgrade existing charge card.

tag
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

AMEX offering 50k MR points for $5k spent in 3mo to upgrade existing charge card.

I've had an AMEX Green charge card for over a year.  I've contemplated switching to the Platinum, even though the AF is $450 I feel I travel enough and would use the ancillary benefits enough to justify the cost.  I just recently got the ED card from them and that has prompted me to switch around some of the products I have from them.

One thing that has always held me back is that as an existing charge card holder I didn't qualify for the sign up bonuses.  If I visit the AMEX website while logged in noting shows, if I log out I was ablt to see the 40k MR bonus offer.  I had planned to call and ask for the bonus because even thought I have the Green card I didn't receive any signup bonus (outside of the no AF for 1 year which is standard).  The crawler on the top of the "my accounts' page when the green card is selected did display a $0af offer to upgrade to the PRG.  I visited the Platinum page a couple times over the last day to determine if the Delta club access had been restored.  This morning I saw a new ad at the top of the page for upgrading to the Platinum.  Im guessing the AMEX website is smart enough to detect my interest in the Plat and that triggered the offer.

So anyone contemplating a switch should contact Amex or at least visit the page to see if they can prompt an offer.  It's an upgrade so my account number isn't going to change, no HP, no new account. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.