Established Contributor

AMEX offering money to close accounts...Anyone get an offer yet?

[ Edited ]

I just saw this today, Interesting way to go.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/American-Express-offers-some-holders/story.aspx?guid=%7B53897B...

1:15pm 02/24/2009
Delayed quote data
AXP 12.38, +0.23, +1.9%) is offering a $300 incentive for customers to cancel their accounts as the card issuer grapples with surging loan delinquencies and soft card-member spending.
The company is offering a $300 prepaid card, which can be used anywhere American Express is accepted, to certain customers who pay off their entire balance between March 1 and the end of April. Enrolling in the deal automatically cancels the customer's account, regardless of whether he successfully pays off the balance.
The move comes as ratings firm have warned that rising credit-card delinquencies could push the charge-off rate into the double digits by the end of the year from December's record level of 7.7% amid rising unemployment rates. The offer is also a stark contrast to previous incentives, like frequent flyer miles and cash-back deals, offered by card issuers to encourage consumers to open an account.
American Express' offer is only valid for customers who receive a mailing with a registration code from the company and was advertised as a way for people to "simplify your finances." It wasn't immediately clear what kind of balances the company is targeting with the deal or how many people will receive the offer.
The company also warned consumers may lose rewards points by enrolling in the offer.
Shares of American Express were recently down 3.9% at $12.47 amid another broad decline for equities. The stock is down 70% since September.
End of Story
Message Edited by Takunda1 on 02-24-2009 12:42 PM
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX offering money to close accounts...Anyone get an offer yet?

I can't wait to see if they offer it on our business cards, 2 we carry a balance on.
Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting Smiley Tongue
Senior Contributor

I'll be more than happy to close my Clear card if they are willing to give me $300 to do so. I don't think it'll happen though because it has a 0 balance.
Here we go again...
Established Contributor

I guess at this point they are targeting those that carry a high balance orf have carried a balance for a long time. Given this situation, I think the FICO formula has to adapt becasue while available is a plus for your score nowadays almost all CC companies are CLDing everyone. If this continues then everyones score is going to tank.
Frequent Contributor

I will got about 50 dollars on mine good trade there  LOL....

2wheel
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.