Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX offers question

tag
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

AMEX offers question

I have often checked for special offers on the AmEx site and have always received the "we have found no offers for you" message. Soon after one such try, I decided to sign up for offers via the button underneath that section. Well, I receive emails about cards now, it says due to having signed up for special offers, but if I check on the website and fill out my info, it still says it has found no offers for me. Are these emails just as good as the website "offers found" or are they just marketing?
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX offers question

Yea I have the same question! The email says :

"

Introducing

Special Card Offers For You

Make the most of your finances-and your life

Dear Mod cut. Please don't include personal information in your posts- MarineVietVet. myFICO moderator

Welcome to the first in a short series of American Express Card offers specially selected for you. Whether you are looking for flexible rewards or award nights and flights-it's easy to find the right card. Just watch your inbox for valuable offers like these in the coming weeks:

Blue Sky                                                      The Premier Rewards Gold Card                                        The Gold Delta SkyMiles

"

I read below and don't see anything in small print saying that this is not an offer for the card or anything of that nature. At the same time they only request your name, address and email so idk if it's possible for them to pre-approve you. So is this a pre-approval offer? Should I apply or is it blind marketing that they call "special offers to you?"

Message 2 of 36
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Yes, my thoughts exactly PacMan. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 3 of 36
CS800
Super Contributor

The offers are just advertising; they are not actual preapprovals.

I had the same thing when i signed up for offers 'no offer for you' but i knew that since i used to be a good customer of AMEX, that they generally love you long time.

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

In that case I REALLY don't like their wording.. It's very misleading.. By saying they "hand picked" offers for you, it would lead you to believe that you'd be approved when in all reality it's just an ad thrown at everyone.

Message 5 of 36
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

I think handpicked means that it responds to the criteria you gave...

And yes, it could be clearer, but honesty is not the main purpose of marketing!

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 6 of 36
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

The criteria they ask for is name (first and last) and email address if I remember correctly, lol.
Message 7 of 36
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:
The criteria they ask for is name (first and last) and email address if I remember correctly, lol.
OK, sorry, I must be confused. I remember going through a couple of questions about whether I preferred cash back or points, if I wanted the ability to carry a balance, etc. (But I have seen a lot of sites recently, it may not have been there.)

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

No SevenNEW you are correct Smiley Happy we're just talking about two different things! You're referring to the sites card choser screen... we're talking about getting an email from AMEX where all we provided was name, address, and email and they emailed us "offers" that seem to be something they designed for you but are in reality blind marketing.

Message 9 of 36
winstars
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No SevenNEW you are correct Smiley Happy we're just talking about two different things! You're referring to the sites card choser screen... we're talking about getting an email from AMEX where all we provided was name, address, and email and they emailed us "offers" that seem to be something they designed for you but are in reality blind marketing.

Ohhhh, I see that I got that  mixed up also... I thought that when I did the card chooser thingy, the result were these emails I recieved with the "offers" in them. I now remember that the "card chooser" and the "sign up for offers" was two separate things. Thanks for clearing that up. It is a very important difference that maybe others besides myself could get wrong. This shows why myfico forums ROCK!!! Thanks

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.