Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX on-line purchase approval

tag
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

AMEX on-line purchase approval

Hi,

AMEX has an on-line purchase approval tool.  Are these accurate?

Reason I ask...... I am a AMEX platinum member, and I have no clue what my limit is at this time.  I believe they use a three month spend average or something along those lines.  I have not used my plat in 3 months, and I assume this has lowered my CL very low.  I am traveling abroad, and wish to use the card for 6K worth of expenses. 

The online approval tool states that a 15K transaction will be approved.  Do you think this is accurate?

P.S I am too lazy today to call the number on the back.  If no one knows I will call tomorrow.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX on-line purchase approval

There are a lot of people on here who use that tool to check their internal limit.  I'm convinced if you play with it too much, or punch in numbers too high (ie just to play with it) Amex may suspend your card until they figure out whats going on or it could lead to an FR.  The ONLY evidence I have of this is that after I played with it years ago on a green card, I got FR'd.  Just my $.02...

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 2 of 7
n777ua
Established Contributor

Also FWIW Amex states online they don't need prior travel notification, but I still always call or send them a note before leaving the country.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To answer the OP's question: Yes, it is accurate.

Message 4 of 7
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Yikes.......... I have entered roughly 10 (maybe 20~) in the last three days and done so as high as 50K. 

They should know that if they have a tool like this people will play!

I will let you know if I get my account frozen. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

The rumors I have heard is that playing with it alone isn't enough, but test out a higher limit then make an above normal luxury item purchase can lead to an FR, for instance some person with a lower income tested 15k and then went to a jewery store and purchased a  $3k ring and got an FR. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 7
LilNYC
New Contributor

FYI- calling the number on the back of your card is pretty much the same thing as checking your spending ability on the site yourself. I called & asked the csr if she could tell me what my spending ability was & she said she doesn't have that info & then proceeded to put in random amounts into a sys that seemed similar to the online tool I was using myself. After a few requests the sys shut down for too many requests, same way the "online spending ability" button does when I use it more than 2x/day. Only way to figure out what your max sornding ability is is to play w/ that button 2x a day & keep uping the # until the request gets declined. At least that's what I did. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.