Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX online payment done in error .. NEED URGENT HELP

tag
amit1326
Valued Member

AMEX online payment done in error .. NEED URGENT HELP

Hi, 

I have Amex 4 accounts since last 1 year , 2 revolving, 1 Business Charge & 1 Personal Charge 

I use them a lot & pay them frequently.

This time My bill was 19000 Payment due was June 08.

I started lowering down my payments & it came to 17009

today i was about to do 1709 more using online Pay Bill on their website. But by mistake the cursor went to full payment due & I also didnt saw & the payment got processed.

I again did the payment of 1709.

When I called Amex to stop that payment I did by mistake of $ 17009 since its a Sunday but they said they have no way to stop payment once done.

I dont have all the cash in that bank tomorrow that I can pay all of that but will pay in next 5-6 days.

Now What to Do I dont understand.. 

I m only worried that this return payment should not effect my credit worthiness with Amex .. as it never happened in the past & they lower down my credit limits or cancel my card by this Typo mistake.

Please Advice friends .. if some had this problem .. or Can advice me ..

thanks & regards

Amit  

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
fot1
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX online payment done in error .. NEED URGENT HELP

So you wanted to pay $1709, but paid $17009 by mistake?

Too many to list..
Message 2 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You should be able to go back online and edit pending payments.

i don't understand how you were able to schedule a $17k payment and a $1700 payment.... The online system only allows 1 payment at a time per account

Message 3 of 27
amit1326
Valued Member

Yes.. I wanted to pay $ 1709 

but my mistke a 0 added Typo..

I again made payment of $ 1709 . & thought I could Call & cancel 

But they said they cant Cancel the payment once made online .. .no matter its an error .. Smiley Sad 

Message 4 of 27
amit1326
Valued Member

No .. I cant Edit or cancel 

Its not Chase or Discover .. that accepts one payment 1 day 

Amex you can pay as many payments you want in a day .. I am paying them every second day .. I have 4 accounts with them since a year 

Message 5 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@amit1326 wrote:

Hi, 

I have Amex 4 accounts since last 1 year , 2 revolving, 1 Business Charge & 1 Personal Charge 

I use them a lot & pay them frequently.

This time My bill was 19000 Payment due was June 08.

I started lowering down my payments & it came to 17009

today i was about to do 1709 more using online Pay Bill on their website. But by mistake the cursor went to full payment due & I also didnt saw & the payment got processed.

I again did the payment of 1709.

When I called Amex to stop that payment I did by mistake of $ 17009 since its a Sunday but they said they have no way to stop payment once done.

I dont have all the cash in that bank tomorrow that I can pay all of that but will pay in next 5-6 days.

Now What to Do I dont understand.. 

I m only worried that this return payment should not effect my credit worthiness with Amex .. as it never happened in the past & they lower down my credit limits or cancel my card by this Typo mistake.

Please Advice friends .. if some had this problem .. or Can advice me ..

thanks & regards

Amit  

If you have paid the minimum (your second payment?) I think you minimize the damage with Amex, they get the money they require.    You also need to worry about your BANK.  When you set up your account, did you agree to let them pay all debits even if your account had insufficient funds?   You should see if they can stop the payment, which is probably going to be cheaper than either having a debit returned for non-suffiicient funds or having to pay interest on the negative balance.

Message 6 of 27
amit1326
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice 

I called chase they said .. They can Stop payment but it will effect all future payments from Amex & they will not clear any future payments from Amex . I dont want to do that .

I dont have any Debit Protection .. I have about $ 4000 in bank & they can overdraft so much .. its a new Business account since last 4-5 months.

All Im worried is my credit worthiness with Amex .. not any fees by Chase or Amex 

Message 7 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Since you are making your minimum the system does remember returned payments but i wouldn't worry to much since it's multiple payments

Message 8 of 27
amit1326
Valued Member

Thanks.. 

Since this is an Amex Green Charge card .. I always pay full amount 

There is no minimum payment option in charge card

Message 9 of 27
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You will be getting hit with a returned payment, whether or not Chase stops that withdrawal is irrelevant. AFAIK AMEX process scheduled payment right away so if a rep can't cancel it then there is nothing you can do.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.