Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX or Discover? Which to apply?

tag
chucky1234
Contributor

AMEX or Discover? Which to apply?

Hello,

I currently AU on some cards and recently was approved for a store card with a CL1750. My credit history is about 10 months old. I would like to apply for another card which should I try to apply for the AMEX or Discover IT card? Suggestions. My scores are around 720 +.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX or Discover? Which to apply?

Aside from the store card what card(s) do you have in your name alone (not AU)?

Message 2 of 11
Contributor

Depends on which Amex. The Discover IT is very easy to get, in my experience. I got it with ~6 months of history. You would probably get approved for one of the Amex charge cards, but maybe not the revolvers. Your scores are good, but Amex is more worried about account age from what I can tell.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 3 of 11
chucky1234
Contributor

The recent store card and also a CapitalOne Secured card with CL of 200 are on my name.

@sccredit wrote:

Aside from the store card what card(s) do you have in your name alone (not AU)?

Message 4 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

App for Discover if you value cash rewards, especially GC redemptions.  If you value travel rewards and in all other cases, Amex is the better option, in my view.

Message 5 of 11
chucky1234
Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

App for Discover if you value cash rewards, especially GC redemptions.  If you value travel rewards and in all other cases, Amex is the better option, in my view.

The AMEX charge card or AMEX BCE?

Message 6 of 11
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

App for the Discover card and then after a year of good use with that try for the Amex BCE.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 7 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@chucky1234 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

In my view, it depends on your CRs.  If you have "good" scores (700+ Fico), I'd app straight for the BCE/BCP, if you value supermarket cashback.  If not, then I'd app for the Charge card, if you want to use the MR program.

Message 8 of 11
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@chucky1234 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

They are both awesome. I would go for a PRG or something first before hitting the revolving. However some people get revolving off the bat.

You can also revolve your charge card if your profile is decent. The charge card has pay over time option which has 35k limit and high apr of 18%.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 9 of 11
JonStur
Established Contributor

Discover is the way to go. An Amex  charge might be a possibility as the revolvers may require a thicker file....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.