Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX pays student loan?

@creditfan wrote:

I just got approved for AMEX card

would like to use it to pay my student loan

my question is, does AMEX incur CA for making such payments

thank you

You mean, would they accept this form of payment? Or...would you be able to BT your Student loans to your card..

Message 2 of 23
Luscher
Valued Contributor

They won't charge a cash advance fee. It is technically a purchase. I have done this with Chase, Citi, and BOA before no problem
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know of a student loan that allows you to pay them by credit card.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:
I don't know of a student loan that allows you to pay them by credit card.

Same.

I suppose if it was a Citi card instead though, You could write a BT to yourself and pay the Student loan from your bank account.

Message 5 of 23
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Edit: Ive paid through the school using there bill pay service that charges you a 2.5% fee. But I have not paid a student loan (ie. sallie mae etc...)
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditfan wrote:

I just got approved for AMEX card

would like to use it to pay my student loan

my question is, does AMEX incur CA for making such payments

thank you

Your question is phrased incorrectly. Rather than asking does Amex allow student loan payments, your question should be do student loan providers allow payments by Amex?

Amex won't have a problem with you paying student loan bills with a credit card. Unfortunately, you student loan providers are not going to accept CC payments. Maybe private lenders will, but if you have Federally subsidized loans, you generally cannot pay them with a CC.Thus, you cannot pay most student loans directly by CC. I would love if I could pay my student loans by CC since my 10 year repayment plan installments are around $1.5k/month and I pay closer to $2.5k each month towards paying them off. However, unfortunately, direct payments by CC are not possible. 

There are potentially ways around this. For example, you might be able to use something like Amex Serve, but I have not tried that. Since Amex Serve (or similar options) can send a check to third parties, it might be possible to load it with a CC from one of the banks that don't treat money moved to Amex Serve as a CA (e.g. Chase) and then use Amex Serve to send a check to the loan provider. However, I am not sure if this will work as I have not tried it (in theory I think it should). Unfortunately, programs like Amex Serve have maximum monthly uploads by CC and other hassles to deal with so I have never bothered trying to use them to pay my student loans. 

Message 7 of 23
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Luscher wrote:
Edit: Ive paid through the school using there bill pay service that charges you a 2.5% fee. But I have not paid a student loan (ie. sallie mae etc...)

I'm so grateful that paying the bill is the one thing my DD's school doesn't nickel and dime about.  No additional charge. I usually split it between Barclays and DD's PRG, rack up the points and PIF when the statements cut.

Message 8 of 23
creditfan
Established Contributor

sorry my bad

just checked it accepts every CC payments except AMEX .........sigh!

for a quick question?

can I add my AMEX Bus CC to personal CC in the same login profile?

so happy Smiley Happy  just got approved for simplycash

Message 9 of 23
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Could just go buy cash cards and pay student loans with that Smiley Happy
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.