Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX pmt not required at this time...ugh

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX pmt not required at this time...ugh

You can call them and they can force a payment through if you are stuck at 1 a month on their website during your first 30 days.   Many ways to skin a cat.  Push a payment and/or call or as others stated you cannot worry about it as amex is slow to report.

Message 11 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:
Odd. They let me make a payment before my first statement was generated. The website did say payment was not required but I was still able to make one without any problems.

However, unless you need to free up your credit limit, you can wait until your statement is generated. Or have the money pushed through from your bank.

This.  Also happens when you add new bank account.  My bill pay from Alliant is fast, 3 days even mailing check.  They will allow one payment (I have also called, and got payment forced over the phone).  This also applies to small business cards.  IF it has been 15 days from last payment with new account, they may open up a brief window to pay.  Otherwise, utilization has no memory, let the statement cut as is, then pay away after 30 days.

Signature needs updating
Message 12 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Calling them seems like a reasonable solution. I can't imagine they would not take payment if you called. Then again....

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

known issue (or known way it works i guess)

for the first 30 days your bank account has been added (for this specific card) they only let you make a payment like once every 7+ days..... Once you've had a payment account attached for >30 days, you'll be able to make payments as frequently as you desire.

You can call and have them process a payment over the phone if you want in the meantime. There is no restriction on that.

Message 14 of 20
core
Valued Contributor

Lots of responses that are not relevant.  OP first posted Saturday 6/04.  He/she said that their statement cuts on Mon 6/06.  Even if he/she had pushed a payment through the day he/she posted this thread, it would not have made it on time.  Not from any bank/CU.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is interesting as my BCP which I have had for a little over 60 days I have spent around $2400 and made 18 payments over the period keeping it at $0 Balance? Never had an issue with making even multiple payments in the same week. I guess it might be a YMMV thing.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's because you're new.  They will let you make as many as you want once they get to know you and your patterns.  That happened to me with a few cards.  Always a warning that I cannot make another payment that soon.  I think they're afraid since they post so soon that it could be returned.  Discover did the same thing too.  After a couple of months I was able to make 1k payments daily with no problem. Yes, I know sounds whacky.  But wasn't sure if I wanted to pay it all off or leave a balance!  Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's because you're new.  They will let you make as many as you want once they get to know you and your patterns.  That happened to me with a few cards.  Always a warning that I cannot make another payment that soon.  I think they're afraid since they post so soon that it could be returned.  Discover did the same thing too.  After a couple of months I was able to make 1k payments daily with no problem. Yes, I know sounds whacky.  But wasn't sure if I wanted to pay it all off or leave a balance!  Smiley Tongue

This is what I gathered during my searches. Oh well! I decided to let it go since my 1st statement *probably* *hopefully* *shouldn't* report, since they are slow to report. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! And maybe this will bring awareness to some newer AMEX members. I would've just waited and made 1 payment had I known. 

Message 18 of 20
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Yeah it took them nearly 3 months to add my card to my reports. Smiley Surprised

Message 19 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@core wrote:

Lots of responses that are not relevant.  OP first posted Saturday 6/04.  He/she said that their statement cuts on Mon 6/06.  Even if he/she had pushed a payment through the day he/she posted this thread, it would not have made it on time.  Not from any bank/CU.

Relevance is in the eye of the beholder.  It's nice to know for the future, since if keep card long term, will probably add another bank account.

Signature needs updating
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.