Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX pre-approval site

tag
asanch12
Contributor

AMEX pre-approval site

So I used to have an AMEX card for a brief time back in '01.  Then I made some knucklehead mistakes and ruined my credit.  In the past I have tried the site and didn't get any offers.  So I pulled an experian report and noticed that my report is now clean. So just for kicks I plugged in my info and it congratulated me and said I was pre-selected for the gold, Green & Zinc.  

What are the odds that the site is correct and Amex approves me for a green card?

Oh i applied in March for one of the Blue cards and was declined, but my lates were still on my report at the time

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 688
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mross1080
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX pre-approval site

You have a descent chance if you got a pre approval from there site. Its not a guarantee though. If you burned amex in the past and never settled with them that will keep you from getting approved. Theyve got a great memory when it comes to that. If you had issues and paid them back Id say go for it. If you never took care of your past issue and it has just aged off your report chances are youll be denied again.

Message 2 of 13
asanch12
Contributor

oh , no i never burned them.  i just had a few lates w/BOA.  Never Amex

Message 3 of 13
tray
Valued Contributor

If you are really interested in trying to get back with Amex I would say go for it as you will probably always be thinking in the back of your mind what about if I could have had a cc, all I can say from my experience I tried many times at the pre-selected site an it was a flat out no offer then one night I tried again and there it was to my surprise an offer for the green or gold card last October, I hit the trigger applied for the green and Bam approved for that card.  To top if off still had three baddies on ex, 2 paid, one stating sold to another lender.  Now at this time I have the premier gold.  Good Luck in what you decide to do.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Give it a shot if AMEX has been a card you want. With a pre-approval I'd say you have a very good chance. I'd go for the Zync to get the 10,000 bonus points. I have two 3 baddies on my report and no pre-approval and got an instant approved. Now about once a week I get a different card offer from them. Plus that backdating will be very helpful.
Message 5 of 13
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Do they soft pull or hard pull for the pre approval site?

Message 6 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@kal9988 wrote:

Do they soft pull or hard pull for the pre approval site?

soft, until you agree to actually apply for credit they can't do hard.

Message 7 of 13
kal9988
Regular Contributor

i'm not pre approved for anything. 2 scores over 700 lol

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your baddies kal? With 700 plus scores you're a good candidate for Zync or Green. I have low 700's with 3 baddies and was approved for Gold, Green and Zync. I grabbed Zync and got 10,000 points and plan to PC to Gold Premier next year. Maybe Platinum :-)

Message 9 of 13
asanch12
Contributor

I really want the Costco AMEX, I know the limits aren't the greatest but they're rewards are pretty good. Does anyone think that my chances are just as good for that card?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.