Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX pre-approvals

tag
floweryu
New Contributor

AMEX pre-approvals

I used to have AMEX blue student card that I closed about 10 years ago. I never missed a payment. I recently cleaned up my credit reports and now all my scores are in the range 740-780, but I still can't see any pre-approvals on AMEX web site. I got pre-approvals for Chase, Capital1 etc. but nothing on Amex. It's a bit strange, so I was wondering if they do a soft pull when you go to their pre-approval site or they have their internal database that they refresh every once in a while. If the latter is true, how long does it take for their database to be refreshed? I am not in a hurry, but would like to see if I am pre-qualified for Starwood rewards card since I frequently stay in their hotels and it would be useful to have their credit card.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX pre-approvals

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but remember preapprovals aren't everything. I wasn't preapproved with Amex, yet got an instant approval.

With those scores, I'd say you're good to go provided you didn't burn them.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex pre quals are funny, i also never got a pre qualified amex offer while everyone else gives them to me.  with your scores, go for it.  

Message 3 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Never rely on prequals.  Not getting a prequal doesn't necessarily mean that you wouldn't be approved.  Getting a prequal doesn't necessarily mean that you would be approved.

@floweryu wrote:

It's a bit strange

Nothing strange about it.  Many people have similar experiences.

@floweryu wrote:

I am not in a hurry, but would like to see if I am pre-qualified for Starwood rewards card since I frequently stay in their hotels and it would be useful to have their credit card.

If a card suits you and your credit is in good shape then apply.  Don't wait for a prequal.

Message 4 of 8
floweryu
New Contributor

Thanks for all the answers! I will wait for June until my first credit card hits 1 year mark and see if I can get rid of 2 small (paid in full) collections: $90 phone bill (calling card company) that I thought I had paid, but didn't and it was sent to collections while I didn't have a permanent place to live. They were paid in full 2 years ago.

Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@floweryu wrote:

Thanks for all the answers! I will wait for June until my first credit card hits 1 year mark and see if I can get rid of 2 small (paid in full) collections: $90 phone bill (calling card company) that I thought I had paid, but didn't and it was sent to collections while I didn't have a permanent place to live. They were paid in full 2 years ago.

Try the GW method to get rid of those baddies

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never received a prequal from Amex and I have four. If your profile is good it won't matter
Message 7 of 8
floweryu
New Contributor

Yes, that's my strategy. I will first try to call and talk to the manager and if that doesn't work out, I will start sending out the letters.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.