Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX preapproval offers

tag
hautemama
Regular Contributor

AMEX preapproval offers

I recently read a post re: AMEX preapprovals.  I logged into my account and there were 4 offers, Platinum, Gold, Blue and Blue Sky.  Are these true preapprovals, such as if I app, I will qualify??  Its easier to get the Green, and I didn't want to pay too much of an annual fee for the Gold, so if I app'd for that would I get it??  The gold has better rewards??

Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX preapproval offers

hautemama wrote:
I recently read a post re: AMEX preapprovals.  I logged into my account and there were 4 offers, Platinum, Gold, Blue and Blue Sky

Nobody is really sure whether these are true preapprovals.  Almost everybody gets preapproved for the same cards you did, but there have been a couple of exceptions lately.  So we just don't know.

hautemama wrote:
Are these true preapprovals, such as if I app, I will qualify??

That's not how preapprovals work.  You can still be declined even if you have a preapproval.

hautemama wrote:
Its easier to get the Green, and I didn't want to pay too much of an annual fee for the Gold, so if I app'd for that would I get it??

You might get it.  Or you might not.  Helpful, huh? Smiley Tongue

hautemama wrote:
The gold has better rewards??

The rewards are virtually the same.  I think the Gold has 1.5 points per $1 on certain travel-related expenses, while the Green only has 1 point per $1 on everything.

Message 2 of 5
Heavy-Handed
Established Member

Had the same offer and app'd for the Gold yesterday.  Got the message "in progress check back within 24 hours" called 3-4 hours later, talked to one of the most pleasant reps ever who thanked me a few times for being a valued existing member (Blue Cash since 07-07) while processing the app.

Approved card will arrive in 7-10.  Experian Fico = 661

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very cool!  Yes, Amex reps are some of the nicest people I "know". Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even better is it will report an "Open Date of "March 2007"

Heavy-Handed wrote:
Had the same offer and app'd for the Gold yesterday.  Got the message "in progress check back within 24 hours" called 3-4 hours later, talked to one of the most pleasant reps ever who thanked me a few times for being a valued existing member (Blue Cash since 07-07) while processing the app.

Approved card will arrive in 7-10.  Experian Fico = 661

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.