Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX preapproval site? and best travel rewards card

tag
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX preapproval site? and best travel rewards card

So I called AMEX.  They basically said nothing they can do about the points, other than I can cancel and reapply when I receive the card.  Also, my limit is $2000.  That is pathetic, my Blue Cash limit is $6000.  I told the CSR that I was going to Chicago this month for two weeks and wanted to run all my reimbureable expenses through the card, but with a $2000 limit, I couldn't even put the hotel charges on it.  She said they couldn't budge from the 60 day period before applying for a CLI.  

Does anyone think a backdoor number would be able to get around the 60 days?  I might as well cancel the card if I don't get those 30,000 points and have an unusable $2000 limit.  That would be fine if this were a daily spending card, but how am I supposed to travel extensively on that limit?

I'm assuming if I cancel and reapply that is another hard inquiry?

[edit]  So, what happened is I've had the Blue Cash with a $2k limit since 2008.  I know $2k is a typical starting limit with AMEX, and they didn't seem inclined to give me any auto CLIs (I don't use the card, so I don't blame them).  I applied for the HHonors card and then immediately applied for a $4000 CLI on the Blue Cash that was approved instantly online.  Do you think that if I reapplied now, with a $6000 limit on the Blue Cash, that it might affect the approval amount?  A $6k limit on the HHonors would be plenty, though I was hoping for even more.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 33
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

So I called AMEX.  They basically said nothing they can do about the points, other than I can cancel and reapply when I receive the card.  Also, my limit is $2000.  That is pathetic, my Blue Cash limit is $6000.  I told the CSR that I was going to Chicago this month for two weeks and wanted to run all my reimbureable expenses through the card, but with a $2000 limit, I couldn't even put the hotel charges on it.  She said they couldn't budge from the 60 day period before applying for a CLI.  

Does anyone think a backdoor number would be able to get around the 60 days?  I might as well cancel the card if I don't get those 30,000 points and have an unusable $2000 limit.  That would be fine if this were a daily spending card, but how am I supposed to travel extensively on that limit?

I'm assuming if I cancel and reapply that is another hard inquiry?

[edit]  So, what happened is I've had the Blue Cash with a $2k limit since 2008.  I know $2k is a typical starting limit with AMEX, and they didn't seem inclined to give me any auto CLIs (I don't use the card, so I don't blame them).  I applied for the HHonors card and then immediately applied for a $4000 CLI on the Blue Cash that was approved instantly online.  Do you think that if I reapplied now, with a $6000 limit on the Blue Cash, that it might affect the approval amount?  A $6k limit on the HHonors would be plenty, though I was hoping for even more.

No clue if they would do it but culd they reallocate the CL from the Blue Cash to the HHonors Card?

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 12 of 33
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I would love that.  I haven't used the Blue Cash in 2 years.  I didn't think about that, thanks, it's a really good idea.  Doesn't solve my points problem, so I still may have to reapply, but it will make me feel better if I have a backup to the low CL, because I know reapplying will at least solve the points issue.  I guess I don't really care if I have 2 inquiries on EX within 3 days of each other Smiley Sad  

What would really be cruel is if they denied me on second application due to the inquiry from the first app! Haha, surely a recon would get around that?

Message 13 of 33
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I'm kind of in a time crunch to get this card before I leave for Chicago in 2 weeks.  Rather than wait for this card to get here, cancel it, and reapply through the promotional link, do you think I could reapply now before the account hits their main CS system and then just cancel the first account when I get it, so that I can have the new card on the way quicker?  Or is that a bad idea?

Message 14 of 33
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

I'm kind of in a time crunch to get this card before I leave for Chicago in 2 weeks.  Rather than wait for this card to get here, cancel it, and reapply through the promotional link, do you think I could reapply now before the account hits their main CS system and then just cancel the first account when I get it, so that I can have the new card on the way quicker?  Or is that a bad idea?

Why not wait until after your Chicago trip to cancel the card and reapply?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 15 of 33
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Two weeks stay in Chicago = 14 days at ~$180 a night = $2520

$2520 * 6 points/$ = 15120 points

Not including airfare, meals, gas for the rental car, etc.

I could potentially be losing 20,000 - 25,000 free points.

Message 16 of 33
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

Two weeks stay in Chicago = 14 days at ~$180 a night = $2520

$2520 * 6 points/$ = 15120 points

Not including airfare, meals, gas for the rental car, etc.

I could potentially be losing 20,000 - 25,000 free points.

What I'm saying is since you are on a time crunch, just keep the card you have and use it in Chicago earning the points as you've outlined above.  After your trip, cancel the card and reapply in order to take advantage of the extra bonus points.  Won't that work?

ETA: I haven't looked at the promo offer you are talking about.  If it only applies to first-time cardholders, I can see why you would need to cancel right away.

E(again)TA: Also, if you like Hilton, check out this offer: https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/processLanding4.aspx?lp=mileagepluselite&cid=OM,HN,mileageplus,LP2010

I think it's still active.  You get auto-Silver status and then earn Gold if you complete 4 stays in 90 days.  Now, with your Amex card  you already get Silver, but you'd have to spend $20K on the card to earn Gold.  With a two week stay in Chicago, you could hotel hop at least once and make the trip count as two stays.  Depending on how much you value being Hilton Gold and how much of a hassle you think it is to hop around, you could even complete all 4 stays on this one trip.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 17 of 33
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

ETA: I haven't looked at the promo offer you are talking about.  If it only applies to first-time cardholders, I can see why you would need to cancel right away.

That's precisely why.  Although, I am cancelling it no matter what, because I doubt I will make up more than the 30,000 points in two weeks, so I'd rather have the promo, than have the card available, but it will be a huge bummer to miss out on all those points.

Message 18 of 33
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Understood.  See if you can get them to expedite issuance of the card.  Even if you had to pay a small fee for that, it would be worth it.   Also, in case you missed it because we were typing at the same time, check out the last re-edit to my post above about attaining Gold status.

Finally, make sure you double check before you apply next time.  I saw the offer you were talking about on milepoint, but when I went to Hilton HHonors page, I had a different promo offer that wasn't as lucrative. 

Good luck.

Message 19 of 33
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

Just an FYI (unless you are looking somewhere else) this link which came from the HHonors Page 
https://www262.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/apply/hilton-hhonors-card/71-1000-7?returnUrl=...
states you get 20,000 bonus (which I believe you will receive with your App) plus Receive up to 10,000 additional HHonors Bonus Points on your first four Hilton WorldWide portfolio of hotels stays charged to the Card during your first 18 months of Cardmembership2
So unless you were looking at something else that says and additional 30,000 bonus points (make sure that offer is still valid) but if this is indeed the bonus then is it really worth it for an additional 10,000 points (again, you may be looking at a different app than this one).

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.