Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX prequalfied offers question....

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

AMEX prequalfied offers question....

I try the prequal link for an AMEX from time to time (never had one, always wanted one) and it has never given me any offers until tonight.  I chose "cash rewards" as my interest for the card and low and behold, it FINALLY said.... Hello, XXXX... We have found the following special Card offers for you.... and it gave me three... the Gold Card, Blue Sky and Green Card.  Since it only included one revolver, I clicked on the offer terms and it showed an APR of 17.24% with their normal 0% for 15 months.  It also had the opt out prescreen message in bold in the middle of the page which all seem to be good signs for a possible approval (obviously no guarantee).  

Questions - I'm most interested in the BCE or BCP (revolver in general).  Just because neither the BCP or BCE showed up under special offers, should I apply for the one I want or should I play it safe and take one of the three 'special offers'?  I've heard of people PC'ing the Blue Sky to BCE before. Secondly, are these pretty reliable like Chase's prequal offers wherein you have a pretty good chance of approval if you have prescreened offers come up?

I looked all over the page but didn't see a "you're also prequalified for the following other cards....".  It was strictly those three.  Are those three the only ones they're offering me you think? 

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX prequalfied offers question....

well you could take the safe route and get the gold card first that they are offering you and then instantly go back in and apply for the BCP if you want because it will only be the 1 INQ and then if you do happen to get denied, then in the future you can keep trying with sp if denied too!

Message 2 of 11
AAstra
Regular Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I've been wanting an Amex for awhile and the BCE is calling my name. I've heard of others, or have seen others on the credit board site, being approved with worse scores. I think I'm just pulling the trigger tonight. If I get it I'd be psyched but if not, oh well, it isn't the end of the world. Take the plunge! Why go for a card that you aren't truly happy with? Every time that you use it there will be the thought that you should have went for BCE or BCP.

Just my thoughts in a rant, haha.

Cheers!

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 3 of 11
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

well you could take the safe route and get the gold card first that they are offering you and then instantly go back in and apply for the BCP if you want because it will only be the 1 INQ and then if you do happen to get denied, then in the future you can keep trying with sp if denied too!

Thanks Creditaddict.  I just don't know how much I'd use a charge card. I've heard that's the best way in the door but I'm a bit hesitant to apply for something I may not use.  I don't plan to app until next Friday when my util will be reporting 1%.  I may try the link again and see if I can get it to spit out a Blue Cash of some kind. 

Message 4 of 11
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@dbutz1109 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I've been wanting an Amex for awhile and the BCE is calling my name. I've heard of others, or have seen others on the credit board site, being approved with worse scores. I think I'm just pulling the trigger tonight. If I get it I'd be psyched but if not, oh well, it isn't the end of the world. Take the plunge! Why go for a card that you aren't truly happy with? Every time that you use it there will be the thought that you should have went for BCE or BCP.

Just my thoughts in a rant, haha.

Cheers!

You make very good points.  I think the UW requirements for the Blue Sky and BCE/BCP should be the same, wouldn't you think?  That said, it's wild how their offers are so specific.  I swear, I looked at that page for 10 minutes trying to find "you're also prequalifed for.....".... nada... LOL 

Message 5 of 11
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

I had a 696 EX (which they will pull) and had a thin file. UTI was at1%. I had no pre-qualified offers. I applied for the BCP and was instantly approved for a CL $6,000. I'd say so for what you want! 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 6 of 11
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@striehl8212 wrote:

I had a 696 EX (which they will pull) and had a thin file. UTI was at1%. I had no pre-qualified offers. I applied for the BCP and was instantly approved for a CL $6,000. I'd say so for what you want! 

Goodness.... it looks like the blew all your other CL's out of the water.  They must have something special going on with their internal scoring.  Someone with a 680 gets a 10K limit while others with a 760 gets a 1.5K.  The mystery is kind of fun.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

I agree. I had to call and get the limit and had the lady double check and repeat herself. I said, "That's over 2.5x my other highest card." Laughing, she said,"you can ask for an increase on Day 61 if you want." the lady must have found my surprise funny and was having fun messing with me. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

If either of you two apply, let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I just looked at this again and noticed something different.  The offers shows "15,000 Points Earn 15,000 Blue Sky Reward Points after you use your new Card to make $250 in purchases within the first 3 months. (copied and pasted from the offer). So I spend $250 in 3 months and get $200 back and no AF? That's the perks and same "welcome offer" as the Blue Sky Preferred but with no AF. All of a sudden this travel card is looking better. Wow, you really have to read these things closely.  That's actually a pretty good offer and considering the point system is equivalent to 1.33%, it's not too shabby (750 points is equal to a $100 statement credit).

Decisions, decisions.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.