Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX question

Amex is known to report "member since" from the date of opening the first account with them. But what if somebody adds me as an AU on his AMEX and once it gets reported I apply on my own? Will I inherit the history of an AU account on my card? Sorry, if the question sounds strange)
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX question

yes
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Realy? So if I want to extend the length of my credit history I can simply ask my friend to add me as an AU to his longest Amex card and apply on my own...  if I get approved I will get a long tradeline on my report. What about my other AMEX cards? The ones I have now, will they reage as well?
Message 3 of 18
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

From what I know AU card holder inherits the age of the primary holders card open date. That is pretty common practise.  Most other companies I know they carry the first date that account is opened. I would think Amex would be same. My suggestion apply for it and see what they say.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about ny existing Amex cards? will they carry the age of the older AU account?
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same question. My dad has an Amex member-since of '79, while mine is '98. If he adds me as an AU to his account, can I request to have my member-since for all cards set to '79? 
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anybody?
Message 7 of 18
stefanc
Regular Contributor

Was AU on DW account and all my cards were backdated -- worked for me -- YMMV.
Message 8 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The history should appear on all your AmEx cards, those issued by American Express. Obviously, it won't happen for a BofA AmEx, or a USAA AmEx, or other cards issued by other banks/ CU's.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

What happens if you become an AU, have the age carried over to you existing cards, and then cease to be an AU? Do you revert back to your original date or do you get to retain the age?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.