Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX question

tag
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX question

I would wait till Jan for the best backdating possible then apply if you are still wanting the card.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

excuse the ignorance but what does backdating mean?? My thing is I have a few cards at low CL's, I would like to consilidate/close what I don't want and end up with the CSP, AMEX BCE and my BoA. Mid January I would be able to ask for a CLI on my everyday card, should i forego that and just apply for a BCE?

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

excuse the ignorance but what does backdating mean?? My thing is I have a few cards at low CL's, I would like to consilidate/close what I don't want and end up with the CSP, AMEX BCE and my BoA. Mid January I would be able to ask for a CLI on my everyday card, should i forego that and just apply for a BCE?

Backdating is unique to American Express.  When you get your first AE it sets your original date and any subsequent AE cards you get will show the same date.  Over time this can, in some cases have a profound affect on your AAoA (average age of accounts) which is one of the factors in determining your credit score

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

ah i understand now. so what should my next move be? stay with everyday and ask for the CLI in mid January or apply for the BCE??

Message 14 of 25
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

you can do both then move the limits around and get rid of the one you don't want

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok so if i get the BCE and the increased CLI can I move all 3 limits to BCE and close the other 2??

Message 16 of 25
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

yes

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

another question lol. CLI first or apply for the new card??

Message 18 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

Techincal check: Are you back to a regular computer yet? Smiley Happy if so, use the Search box above this thread, and look for:

AMEX 3X CLI

AMEX Backdating

for lots of commentary / discussion about same.

Wait until January to app for the BCE. As noted, your new card will have January 2014 as the "Member Since" date, so instantly a year old card.

Do not do the CLI on the other cards if you intend to close them. There are certain aging restrictions on the credit lines before AMEX allows you to move them around. For example, the source CL you are transfering out must be 13 statements old, if I'm not mistaken. The May 2013 card is already on a clock. If you CLI that ED card, I think it has restrictions on how you can move that CL around. Also, once you run the CLI on ANY of your AMEX cards, ALL other AMEX cards must wait 6 months before ANY can get another auto CLI. Strategy and timing are everything in your case. Since you already CLI the ED card, when does that 6 months end?

With the BCE, you'll start with whatever credit line they give you. After 61 days you can do a 3X CLI request (detailed elsewhere, and at least 6 months after the ED CLI) and then when the other cards reach a certain point, probably move the CL into the BCE.

Good luck! You might want to make a chart with all the possibilities. Then you can add it here and we can all comment Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI on ED can be done mid January. I did the initial 60 day CLI in July.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.