Did you mean: 

AMEX "Selected to Apply"

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX "Selected to Apply"

@HiLine wrote:

@Bsong wrote:

After thinking about it, the only card that i want form Amex is the Delta Sky Miles. Its the only card that would make sense for me to have.  But the problem is, its a revolver which from what Ive read also has harder guidelilnes than a charge card. So I guess Ill just wait till i get something in the mail for that. 

"Harder" than charge cards but not really hard. Don't pay any attention to such invitations - the only thing they imply is that you are not near bankcruptcy. If you are seriously considering a credit card with Amex, feel free to post a thread with your credit profile and we can help estimate your chance of success.

+1

The revolvers are definitely harder to get compared to the charge cards, but they're not drastically harder compared to equivalent cards offered by other prime banks.

Bsong, because you have some new accounts opened in may, I would recommend you wait till November instead.

American Express can be quite fussy about other new accounts reporting on your CR. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 21 of 40
HiLine
Blogger

@enharu wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Bsong wrote:

After thinking about it, the only card that i want form Amex is the Delta Sky Miles. Its the only card that would make sense for me to have.  But the problem is, its a revolver which from what Ive read also has harder guidelilnes than a charge card. So I guess Ill just wait till i get something in the mail for that. 

"Harder" than charge cards but not really hard. Don't pay any attention to such invitations - the only thing they imply is that you are not near bankcruptcy. If you are seriously considering a credit card with Amex, feel free to post a thread with your credit profile and we can help estimate your chance of success.

+1

The revolvers are definitely harder to get compared to the charge cards, but they're not drastically harder compared to equivalent cards offered by other prime banks.

Bsong, because you have some new accounts opened in may, I would recommend you wait till November instead.

American Express can be quite fussy about other new accounts reporting on your CR. 

+1 back Smiley Happy

Not only Amex but all other lenders will look unfavorably upon recently opened accounts. I would wait till the accounts are at least 3 months old, preferably 6 months old, and ideally at least 1 year old before applying for another card. Time to join the Garden IMO.

Message 22 of 40
RSCo
Established Contributor

I received the "you're invited to apply" for 2 of my 3 Amexs and were instantly approved.. In fact, I was approved for the Costco TruEarnings on 5-18 and then a few days later receieved an invite to apply for the PRG on 5-28 and got that too..

At the time

MyFico 700

AAoA 7.2yrs

Inq's on EX 12, EQ 13 and TU 6

Also had an old foreclosure from 2006 on my file and a 2007 unpaid judgment.... On my first Amex, they pulled ALL 3 CRs, and on my subsequent cards, they pulled only EX..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 23 of 40
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

We invite you to apply for Blue Sky from American Express®. If approved, gain access to a rewards program that offers you unlimited travel choices with no annual fee.
7,500 bonus pointsEarn 7,500 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Cardmembership.1
APR welcome offer0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months, then a variable APR, currently equal to 17.24-22.24%.2
Endless travel possibilities With the Blue Sky® Card, you can earn points on every eligible purchase you make.3 Every 7,500 points that you earn can be redeemed for a $100 statement credit toward any airline, hotel, car rental or cruise.4
Points are flexible You can also redeem points for gift cards,5 merchandise,6 or cash back.7

APPLY NOW AT https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/blue-sky-credit-card/13615-10-0. Apply by July 18, 2013.
 American Express

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 24 of 40
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:
We invite you to apply for Blue Sky from American Express®. If approved, gain access to a rewards program that offers you unlimited travel choices with no annual fee.
7,500 bonus pointsEarn 7,500 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Cardmembership.1
APR welcome offer0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months, then a variable APR, currently equal to 17.24-22.24%.2
Endless travel possibilities With the Blue Sky® Card, you can earn points on every eligible purchase you make.3 Every 7,500 points that you earn can be redeemed for a $100 statement credit toward any airline, hotel, car rental or cruise.4
Points are flexible You can also redeem points for gift cards,5 merchandise,6 or cash back.7

APPLY NOW AT https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/blue-sky-credit-card/13615-10-0. Apply by July 18, 2013.
 American Express

LOL.. I received the exact same email offer yesterday... This is not a good sign-up bonus IMO.. They have other recent offers for the same exact card where they offer 30k points after ONLY a 500.00 spend in the first 3 months..  I'm gonna wait for a better offer.. Smiley Happy

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 25 of 40
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

30,000 points? For Blue Sky, that's a GREAT deal Smiley Happy
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 26 of 40
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Just wanted to share more info....

I went ahead and just checked my full credti report with TU and EX and it shows I have a soft pull from Amex on my TU report. 

Titled: "Promotional Inquiries"

"The companies listed below received your name, address and other limited information about you so they could make a firm offer of credit or insurance. They did not receive your full credit report. These inquiries are not seen by anyone but you and do not affect your score."

I read the whole thing but im having selective reading syndrom at the moment and just see the bolded letterings. Im really wanting to get into Amex and try my luck!!!.. I know you all say garden but crap! This is making me feel confident ill get in with Amex! LOL. 

Message 27 of 40
justforting
Regular Contributor

Got several such letters from AMEX when I was approved for BCE.

Last App: 09/17/2013 // No App Until: Mortgage (05/14?)

Cards in my wallet: AMEX BCE ($8000) // CITI AA VISA SIG ($5000) // CHASE FREEDOM ($3500) // DISCOVER IT ($1000) // CAP ONE NC ($1000) // WALMART DISCOVER ($1600)
Credit Scores: FICO TU08 (10/13): 739 // Credit Karma (10/13): 677??!! // Credit Sesame (10/13): 730
Next Goal: CSP (after mortgage probably...)
Message 28 of 40
Bsong
Regular Contributor

@justforting wrote:

Got several such letters from AMEX when I was approved for BCE.

If they offered me the Green what are my chances at the BCE though? Or should I wait till I get offered a revolver card and then apply? 

Message 29 of 40
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Alright... 

I cant take this anymore... Im gonna apply and will update everyone with the results.

Plan of action: Apply for the Amex Green offer and if approved I will also apply for the BCE (Sine I read that it will be a SP if denied and HP if approved).... 

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.