Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX ready or no? AMEX EXPERTS PLEASE CHIME IN

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX ready or no? AMEX EXPERTS PLEASE CHIME IN

Wait wait and wait. Let your current cards age some and get that EX up to at least 670. Although you could probably get a charge card with a 650 I would wait to at least 670 for extra approval padding. Of course it really depends on your overall profile and which card you want, but a little time and patience definitely won't hurt you.
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Amex product are you interested in?
Message 12 of 30
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I recently stepped out of the garden to do an Mini App Spree last friday.

I received 2 Barclays totaling $7K, Bloomies for $3K, TJmaxx for $3K , Nordstrom $1K  and Discover IT for $1.2K. I already have 2 Cap1 QS1 totaling $3050. My updated scores are as follows (after app spree): EX: 628 EQ: 646 TU: 683 ...

My question is, am I ready to apply for ANY AMEX cards? OR should I wait until my scores are higher? This will be my last card to complete my profile. CHIME IN PLEASE!Smiley Happy

OH and the AMEX prequal site doesn't prequal me for anything!

Thanks in advance!!!

I have seen Recent Amex approvals with your scores. It could be they are pushing for more card members given the Costco loss. I think the key thing with Amex I'd payment pattern and low utilization.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 13 of 30
Bman70
Established Contributor

There's a few schools of thought on that.. with six new cards, sometimes it might be best to apply before they hit the reports and kill your AAoA, score, and show all the new accounts. That's the original idea behind the "spree": So that you don't show a bunch of new accounts until after you've been approved for them all. However, it's been shown that AA can happen anyway, after everything reports. It's one throwaway hard pull if you aren't approved, so not a huge difference when on a spree anyway. Otherwise, wait might be longer because all the new accounts have to age. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 14 of 30
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

I think EX 670 is the magic number.

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

My ex was 668 for both my delta and BCP. Edit for score. 

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

how about if you have an ex of 690 but a chp7 bk discharged on 2013 what are your chances of approval then ??????

(no amex cards included in bk only a macys card cobranded amex)

Message 17 of 30
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

I got my Everyday card with a 663 EX. Judging by how long it lagged at the 'thinking' screen, I think I got lucky. Had a paid judgement & collection listed when I apped.

Message 18 of 30
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

how about if you have an ex of 690 but a chp7 bk discharged on 2013 what are your chances of approval then ??????

(no amex cards included in bk only a macys card cobranded amex)

I think Amex requires 5 years post bk when they were not IIB

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 19 of 30
sjt
Senior Contributor

Amex does not rely solely on  FICO scores in their approval process. They have their own internal scoring system based on their own data. This is why there are some folks with 700+ FICO scores denied and some with much lower scores that have been approved.

I think what Amex focuses on most is payment pattern, utilization, number of new accounts, inquiries, current or past relationship.

If you look in the Approval section there have are folks who were approved with 630-640 scores. I do think Amex wants to expand cardmembership and is loosening up approval criteria a bit.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.