cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX said easiest 2 card approvals are...(surprising)

tag
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX said easiest 2 card approvals are...(surprising)

For what it's worth I had app'd for the Gold Delta card 3 previous times and were denied on all 3 attempts it said due to a not long enough credit history, I had obtained 5 CC's back in 10/09, after reading a few threads that said starting out with an amex charge card is the best way to get in the door, I said what the h*** and app'd for a Zync card last week, one of the reasons I wanted the Zync was because of the low AF, even with adding another pack to it. This was going to be my last attempt at Amex anyway, I was approved for the Zync. My 3 previous attempts were 30 days apart, I didn't mind taking the hard inq's since I knew I wasn't going to app for anything else no time soon. I acutally used my Zync quite a bit over the weekend while I was on a trip.

Now that I have my Amex I'm just going to work what I have and let those inq's fall off in time.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a vanilla Amex Blue in good standing for about 3 years, and only recently got approved for a CLI of $1700 -> $3000.  They are very conservative, and I had made soft CLI requests every 8 months or so. 

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gibran wrote:

For what it's worth I had app'd for the Gold Delta card 3 previous times and were denied on all 3 attempts it said due to a not long enough credit history, I had obtained 5 CC's back in 10/09, after reading a few threads that said starting out with an amex charge card is the best way to get in the door, I said what the h*** and app'd for a Zync card last week, one of the reasons I wanted the Zync was because of the low AF, even with adding another pack to it. This was going to be my last attempt at Amex anyway, I was approved for the Zync. My 3 previous attempts were 30 days apart, I didn't mind taking the hard inq's since I knew I wasn't going to app for anything else no time soon. I acutally used my Zync quite a bit over the weekend while I was on a trip.

Now that I have my Amex I'm just going to work what I have and let those inq's fall off in time.

Good info Gibran. How long was your history when you applied for the Gold Delta? Mine is at 1 year and 7 months right now... hoping that is long enough....

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are any of them any easier on a past BK (that Amex was not included in) than others?

AMEX is traditionally very anti-BK.  If you BK them, you are toast forever unless you make good and do the Oasis, or such.

But even if Amex was not in your BK, they still are sour on it.  I don't think Amex is the best post BK rebuild bet. 

I realize there are some exceptions (somebody somewhere got Amex with BK on their CR)....but don't count on it.

txjohn

Message 14 of 28
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

The first time I applied I had a closed CC that was 8 months old, it was rebuilding program card and the bank stopped the program, I also had a car loan that was 2 years old, so that was the extent of my credit at that time, When I applied the 2 other times which was this year, I then had 5 CC's that I opened in 10/09 but they still said revolving credit history not long enough.

I'm not an Amex expert by any means but I would think that if your CR is clean and seeing that you have some history, you may be in good shape. Maybe someone else with more Amex experience can chime in.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ billshrink.com they have a CC comparison tool, the rewards, fees, type of credit and target credit scores in order to be approved. If I remember correctly blue sky had a target of 700 (as did the JetBlue which was the one I was really looking at) and Blue was in the 750-800 range. I wish I had known that before I applied for it about a year ago. But go check it out, well worth the time. I think they mde me sign up for a free account too, but again - worth it.
Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@ billshrink.com they have a CC comparison tool, the rewards, fees, type of credit and target credit scores in order to be approved. If I remember correctly blue sky had a target of 700 (as did the JetBlue which was the one I was really looking at) and Blue was in the 750-800 range. I wish I had known that before I applied for it about a year ago. But go check it out, well worth the time. I think they mde me sign up for a free account too, but again - worth it.

Well I apped for the Blue Sky last month and i was instant declined. My scores are 730 across the board. Pisses me off.

Message 17 of 28
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

I was denied for a Amex blue card with an 800 score. I had a new mortgage and 3 new cards. Oh well. I find it strange that there is so much interest in the Amex line of cards lately. There rates aren't all that great IMO.

Message 18 of 28
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I only like the idea of an Amex cards as they protect the consumers more than other cards. They really do have some of the best customer service. 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 19 of 28
Devastator
Established Member

You can roll a charge card into a regular card after a few months?

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.