AMEX says they can't approve me for two cards within 30 days

tag
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX says they can't approve me for two cards within 30 days

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@OHWWCB wrote:

I applied for the AMEX PRG thinking I wouldn't get approved and I did and that started my spree last night. After getting approved with two cards from Chase last night with $4500 and 5k limits and 6k from Discover, I was feeling pretty confident so I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday. I thought it was declined but I actually just went to the webite just now and my application was cancelled because it was a duplicate application it said. So I called and the customer service guy all but told me to just apply again in 30 days and they'd be able to approve me. I was hoping to get my spree done all in one day but I also want that card. Will it really kill my score to have ANOTHER HP 30 days from now?

a charge card and a credit card from amex are very common within 30 days... you need to talk to a different rep! or else do it again in 30 days, it won't hurt you.

+1 Not sure what the rep is talking about but I got my PRG and Amex BCP in the same day. 

Ugh! I am definitely calling back!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 11 of 15
HailtotheVictors79
Contributor

I just got approved last night for the PRG with an initial spending ability of $3800. I also just got approved less than 2 weeks ago for a BCE with a $2000 limit. So yeah I would call back and talk to someone else.

Message 12 of 15
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@HailtotheVictors79 wrote:
I just got approved last night for the PRG with an initial spending ability of $3800. I also just got approved less than 2 weeks ago for a BCE with a $2000 limit. So yeah I would call back and talk to someone else.

How do I find out my initial spending limit before getting the card? Just call them?

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 13 of 15
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@OHWWCB wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

HP Inquiries do reduce score somewhat, but I don't think it will kill.......The key for you is to limit your utilization to under 30% of limit on each card. Possibly even lower is better. 

Yeah, my utilization right now is 0%. I don't keep balances on my cards.

I hope it isn't that on all of your cards. If it is, it is actually hurting your FICO score. The best way to do it is to report all zero balances except for ONE credit card, report a balance between 1-10% then PIF (It can even be $1.00 if you want it to be). No interest charged, and better FICO scores, talk about a win-win. Smiley Wink

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 14 of 15
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@OHWWCB wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

HP Inquiries do reduce score somewhat, but I don't think it will kill.......The key for you is to limit your utilization to under 30% of limit on each card. Possibly even lower is better. 

Yeah, my utilization right now is 0%. I don't keep balances on my cards.

I hope it isn't that on all of your cards. If it is, it is actually hurting your FICO score. The best way to do it is to report all zero balances except for ONE credit card, report a balance between 1-10% then PIF (It can even be $1.00 if you want it to be). No interest charged, and better FICO scores, talk about a win-win. Smiley Wink

Well, my credit report actually says 1% because I had $2.95 on one card. I just learned from this forum to show utilization of less than 10% on one card. I can do that, probably on my Chase Freedom with the 0% APR

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.