Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX some straight b*tches!!!

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

AMEX some straight b*tches!!!

So get this... after having never missed payment AMEX shuttered my account in December of 2007, then this year. I'm LATE on my November payment by 2 days! and I get a call this afternoon from a CA looking to collect the entire outstanding balance from the AMEX account!

Talk about some [EDITED]

EDIT:  Please watch your language in the forums--ByrdMan

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 12-03-2008 12:34 AM
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX some straight b*tches!!!

....Are you serious??? So you missed your payment by 2 days, and AMEX has assigned your account to collections? Wow.....Which collection agency is it or is it their internal collections?
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sucks

Is it internal or outside of AMEX?

TheTaxMan

Message 3 of 16
Not_the_Point
Regular Contributor

Wow that's pretty crazy to send you straight to collections for missing one payment by two days... I would expect to get a call from AMEX but not from an outside CA.

8/27/10 -
TU FICO 768
EQ FICO 763
EX PLUS 732

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: That sucks

charge or credit?
Message 5 of 16
Takunda1
Established Contributor

@PayYouNever wrote:

So get this... after having never missed payment AMEX shuttered my account in December of 2007, then this year. I'm LATE on my November payment by 2 days! and I get a call this afternoon from a CA looking to collect the entire outstanding balance from the AMEX account!

Talk about some [EDITED]

No way it could be a collection agency after being late by only two days, it was probably internal collections. Either way I don't so why the OP is sour about the call. You were late, they have every right to contact you for their money.

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 12-03-2008 12:35 AM
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know they are really tightening up...they changed the terms on my account so if I default on the Optima (which has been OUTSTANDING for over two years), I go up to 28.49% and the terms ALSO STATE that they or ANY AGENT can collect the electronic way whatever - so they are setting themselves up so that their "agents" (CAs) can probably have easier access to our accounts?  I am going to put this card in the drawer when paid and use once a month!
Message 7 of 16
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

It's an outside collection agency, Nationwide Credit Inc. My account is no longer with AMEX.

So yes I was late with my payment, however, I contacted AMEX to ask for an extension on the payment and was given the extension. I was late because I was afflicted with a series of vicious migraine headaches that culminated with two ER visits and being put on potential stroke-inducing medication, I discovered that the apartment I moved into not three months ago is laced with toxic black mold -- thus prompting an immediate move-out (a nightmare in itself, as the landlord has refused to return my security deposit -- claiming I broke the lease).

Now, I had a choice of either using all my available cash for the security deposit and 1st month's rent on a new place or paying AMEX, BofA and a few other creditor. I opted to ask for extensions -- all my creditors gave me the extension. I just knew not be late with that payment or the next catch-up payment, which I technically wasn't.

I set-up all the payments thru my bank's BillPay, set for 11/27/08... however, the payments didn't post to AMEX until 12/1 due to the holiday and the weekend. So on 12/2 I get the call frmo Nationwide demanding full payment.

When I called up AMEX on 12/2, the CSR said the account was no longer with AMEX and that I needed to discuss all matters with the CA.

This after I got express permission from AMEX (got a CSR's badge number and the team leader's name for my records - FYI) about the extension... then they reneged on it, and bounced me to collections. I'm disputing the debt, citing that AMEX fraudelently misled me regarding my payment.

Message 8 of 16
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Wow...sorry to hear. I am still shocked they assigned it to collections. Fight fight fight!
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 9 of 16
GregB
Valued Contributor

Why didn't you just pay the minimum on time?

As far as using your bank's bill pay.... There can be a delay in that. If you use the credit card's ACH payment out of your bank account they will always do it on time. It then hits your bank account as fast as that night or as slow as 2 days later.

It does seem bizarre that they would turn something over to an OUTSIDE collection agency for a payment that is only two days late. The statement probably hadn't even closed by then. If there is nothing else to the story then Amex is really shooting themselves in the foot.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.