Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX starting CLs on new accounts

tag
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

AMEX starting CLs on new accounts

I have heard on here from multiple posters that AMEX starts most accounts at $2000.  I have had Blue Cash for 3 years, and it's been at $2000 for all three years until I finally broke down last week and asked for a CLI and was given $6000 (used the 3x rule).

I want to hear from people who have received $2000 starting limits or higher.  In both cases, did you have other lines with AMEX and what were those limits?

The reason I ask, is because I applied for the CLI immediately after being approved for the HHonors at $2000 CL.  I am wondering if I had applied after the CLI, if the system would have taken into consideration that I have another AMEX line of $6000, and given me a higher limit.  Any input you have would be great.  Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX starting CLs on new accounts

They started me at $4,500 on my Blue 3 years ago.  After 90 days I used the 3x rule and got it upped to $12,500.  Been there ever since.

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife just go a Blue Cash - starting was $2000...

Ray

Message 3 of 35
DI
Super Contributor

Mines was initially $2000.  Currently at $5000. 

Message 4 of 35
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I got 10k on Blue in Feb. Only had a Green before that.
Message 5 of 35
umair
New Contributor

They have never shown any signs of increasing any line.. I have used that card very heavy.. finally I paid off both the BLUE & Clear card Ihave...

I also carry their ONE from American express card which they have set a hard limit..

Last I spoke she explained I'm not quite there yet !! didnt know what they meant !!

I hope they increase my limit its been three years now Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the AmEx Blue Cash card on the 1st of April and was given a 2000 CL, I was able to have it backdated to 1991 since I had an AmEx in 91, I have not heard of the 3X rule until just now, should I ask for the 3X CLI after 90 days? And if for some reason they are not willing to go to 6000, would they counter offer me something? I plan on using the card semi heavy for the first 90 days and PIF each month before calling for the CLI.

I also am an AU on my Fathers AmEx Optima which was opened in 84 (16,000 CL) I use that card once a month for small purchases and PIF.

I'm not sure what scoring model they used when they pulled my Experian report (Fico or some other model?) but I asked the CSR if she could tell me my credit score and she said she couldn't tell me over the phone, so I told her my TU Fico was a 704 and she did say the score she was looking at was a little higher than that. So I'm wondering if I'd have success asking for the 3X CLI?

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for Blue Cash last week with a starting CL of $3600.  I have had Green since October 2010.  Both are backdated to 2001 when I had my previously CO Amex accounts.

Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex seems to be pretty comfortable with giving out 2k-3.8k limits.

Some borderline people tend to get 1.2k and the like.

They do seem to be very open and willing to throw cli around though.

Message 9 of 35
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

I applied for a Green Card in 08/10, then scrapped that and got a PR Gold in 10/10 (had up to a $4700 balance on the Green one month) and usually run $1500 through the Gold. Applied for a Costco AmEx in March and I got a 2k starting limit as well.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.