Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX starting CLs on new accounts

tag
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX starting CLs on new accounts

Well, that does it.  It appears your limits with AMEX are more to do with other limits than anything else.

Application 1: approved instantly for $2,000

Then, applied for and approved for a CLI on the blue cash from $2k to $6k
Cancelled App 1 and reapplied for the same Hilton HHonors card with different points promo

Application 2: approved for $5500

Exact same credit profile and score, the only difference being that my Blue Cash was $2k on the first app and $6k on the second.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 35
joestay
Frequent Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

Well, that does it.  It appears your limits with AMEX are more to do with other limits than anything else.

Application 1: approved instantly for $2,000

Then, applied for and approved for a CLI on the blue cash from $2k to $6k
Cancelled App 1 and reapplied for the same Hilton HHonors card with different points promo

Application 2: approved for $5500

Exact same credit profile and score, the only difference being that my Blue Cash was $2k on the first app and $6k on the second.

Maybe it's because of your history with Amex...

Message 32 of 35
android01
Valued Contributor

I applied for a Delta Skymiles card last November and was instantly approved for $25,000.  Scores were in the 750 range.  AAofA was 13 years.  Util was 10%.  It was backdated to 1986 when I had my first AMEX card.  I've been a heavy user ($250,000+ per year) of an AMEX platinum business card for the past 10 years, and I'm positive that had something to do with the high limit I received on the Delta.  I think past and ongoing relationships with AMEX, if in good standing,  weigh heavily in their decisions.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 33 of 35
Mn_Vikes
Valued Member

Add +1 to the matching Citi CL which was also my highest CL @ $9,600.
Coincidence, I think NOT :-).
This was for a Costco Amex approved instantly in store last July.
2/03/08 - EQ: 781
3/0108 - EQ: 813
6/07/08 - EQ:810
Message 34 of 35
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

As with most credit situations, hard rules don't seem to apply, it's YMMV all the way.  For some people, Amex may match Citi limits or even your highest limit.  For others, those factors may not be important.  Here's my recent experience.

Score at app time: 705 EQ.  Not sure what TU was.  My TU score was 20 points higher than my EQ before my EQ updated.  Assuming I got the same score bump on TU, ~725.  Don't know EX.

Other AMEX cards: PR Gold (open).  Blue (closed).

Age of other AMEX accounts: Opened PR Gold in 10/2010.  It was backdated to 1998.  I had a Blue (I think) that was opened in 1998 and closed in 2004.

Limits of other AMEX accounts:  My old Blue had a limit of $700 when it was closed.  My PR Gold card has no preset limit.  I typically run about $5K/month through the card.

Limit approved for: $19,600

HHI on app: $230K

The card is the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex.  I was pleasantly surprised/shocked when I found out the CL today.  Previously, my highest CL on any card was $10K, but that account is closed.  Currently, my highest CL on any open account is $2500.  I have an old, closed Citi card that had a CL of $4000.

In my case, I think HHI and usage on the PR Gold probably trumped matching existing CL/CL on Citi cards.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.