cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX strategy - hold off on 3X CLI request and wait to apply for Hilton card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX strategy - hold off on 3X CLI request and wait to apply for Hilton card?

I'm willing to come out of the garden in January if the new AMEX Hilton offering has a stellar sign up incentive.  Would it be in my better interest to not request the 3X CLI on my AMEX BCE (Day 61 is December 1) and apply for the Hilton card in January with the hope that AMEX will reward me with a higher SL?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX strategy - hold off on 3X CLI request and wait to apply for Hilton card?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm willing to come out of the garden in January if the new AMEX Hilton offering has a stellar sign up incentive.  Would it be in my better interest to not request the 3X CLI on my AMEX BCE (Day 61 is December 1) and apply for the Hilton card in January with the hope that AMEX will reward me with a higher SL?

I'd just get the CLI.  Existing high limits don't seem to be a hinderance to Amex giving high SLs on new accounts.  At least not in my experience.

If you're pushing their ceiling, they'll just take some credit from an existing account to create the new one.

Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX strategy - hold off on 3X CLI request and wait to apply for Hilton card?

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO it wouldn't make a bit of difference to the decision on the Hilton card, one way or the other. So yes you should go for the CLI.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Another vote for just taking the CLI.  DW got a $20k CLI (counter-offered from $36k to $32k) on one card in September, then approved for a new $23,700 card in October.

Message 4 of 6
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

OP you're probably already convinced but here's one more vote for taking the CLI. Amex doesn't know you're thinking of a 3X CLI, so they won't be thinking "Hmm you know well he had a 3X CLI and didn't take it...might as well just approve him for a new card with a limit that makes up for it!"

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone, that makes my decision pretty easy! Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.