Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX taboo charges?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

AMEX taboo charges?

Is it ok by AMEX standards to use a personal charge card like ZYNC, Gold, etc. to pay travel expenses for your work? Is that a legit reason to include in my request for CLI at day 61 for their revolvers?

I will be traveling for 2.5-3 months straight for work (very long complicated trial) and would like to place most of these charges (Delta flights, hotels, etc.) on my AMEX products (ZYNC and Delta Gold card).  Is it ok to use these cards for business related expenses?  I'll be pushing about 10k/month through cards during this time.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX taboo charges?

I am a medical provider (nurse practitioner) with a travel contract. Every travel charge that can goes on my Delta AmEx.

I think it's a perfectly legit reason to ask when the time for your CLI comes around.

Message 2 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Is it ok by AMEX standards to use a personal charge card like ZYNC, Gold, etc. to pay travel expenses for your work? Is that a legit reason to include in my request for CLI at day 61 for their revolvers?

I will be traveling for 2.5-3 months straight for work (very long complicated trial) and would like to place most of these charges (Delta flights, hotels, etc.) on my AMEX products (ZYNC and Delta Gold card).  Is it ok to use these cards for business related expenses?  I'll be pushing about 10k/month through cards during this time.

I don't think the travel for work expenses will be your issue. It will be that you are charging more than your monthly income, which is a red flag for AMEX and lead to a F/R. I would try for  one of there revolvers, your score is a little low but you are a member so it will be a SP. Perhaps Delta Gold or SPG if your work will pay for a nicer hotels, or hilton honors card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 10
p-
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

I don't know about Amex, but I gave that as the primary reason for a CLI request with Chase on the Freedom card, and they doubled my limit.

Message 4 of 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Im not worried about FR. The information I gave them in my app is fully supported by my tax returns and I use personal CPA for them so documentation isnt a problem.  But you are right its above my monthly income.  Maybe I will call them prior to travel and give them a heads up.

Message 5 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Im not worried about FR. The information I gave them in my app is fully supported by my tax returns and I use personal CPA for them so documentation isnt a problem.  But you are right its above my monthly income.  Maybe I will call them prior to travel and give them a heads up.

Just carry a backup card, if you are F/R'd you wont be able to use it for a 2-3 weeks. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Message 6 of 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Well I just got Amex delta also with 2k CL. If they did fr on charge card does that freeze revolver? I almost want to send them copies of my paystubs for their records.

Message 7 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I would guess they shut down all AMEX cards but not sure. 

Message 8 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
Well I just got Amex delta also with 2k CL. If they did fr on charge card does that freeze revolver? I almost want to send them copies of my paystubs for their records.

FR freezes your account. Most people hate FR because the freeze is unannounced, leading to embarrassing moment (and returned payment fee for AutoPay).

AMEX do NOT want your paystub, they WANT your 4506-T form. 4506-T shows your tax record for the last two years. Everything on your tax record is shown to AMEX. If you jointly file tax with your spouse, everything about your spouse is also available to AMEX.

I would not charge work expense on to your card unless it is a small amount. It does not matter if you are getting reimburse. Spending more than your monthly income is very likely to trigger FR.

Message 9 of 10
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Is it ok by AMEX standards to use a personal charge card like ZYNC, Gold, etc. to pay travel expenses for your work?

Sure. Amex should be happy!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.