cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX trifecta goal reached. Vanity or success?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX trifecta goal reached. Vanity or success?

Green, Gold, and Blue. Ive always wanted Amex to be my card.  Maybe I bought into the Amex hype, IDK, but when I see those 3 cards eveyday I like it!! AF's be dammed!

Anyone eles feel the same?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX trifecta goal reached. Vanity or success?

@Anonymous wrote:

Green, Gold, and Blue. Ive always wanted Amex to be my card.  Maybe I bought into the Amex hype, IDK, but when I see those 3 cards eveyday I like it!! AF's be dammed!

I think you've picked three Amex cards that offer fairly little in terms of overall value, so I'd say you're buying into the hype a bit.

I have three Amex cards, but I think I get much more value from rewards/credits/offers/perks for a slightly higher AF cost.

Message 2 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, which specific cards do you have?

Green is easy enough.

Gold could be PRG or plain gold

Blue, if there is an AF, is likely the BCP.

Congratulations on reaching your goals, for sure. If you like how the cards fit in your spend pattern, then there's no issue at all.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on meeting your goal!
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! I used to have one of each of all their cards. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The two aren't mutually exclusive. As long as you like them, that's all that matters. I don't know that Green or Gold actually offer anything useful, but BCP is great.

Message 6 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why does it matter?  You should be selecting specific products that suit your needs/wants.  Whether or not others feel the same about a subset of your cards or whether or not they're a "trifecta" is irrelevant.  The green seems redundant to me with a gold.  The gold seems pointless to me with the higher earn rate on the PRG.  Not sure which Blue you're referring to but the standard Blue doesn't really offer much in terms of rewards.  However, again, it's whether or not these specific cards meet your needs/wants that matters.  Rewards may not matter to you for all we know.

@Anonymous wrote:

AF's be dammed! 

IMO one shouldn't just consider AF's but one shouldn't just dismiss them either.  Consider total cost/benefit.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive always wanted Amex to be my card.  Maybe I bought into the Amex hype

If you selected the creditor (AmEx) and then tried to justify a card then your probably did buy into the hype.  Don't rely on hype.  It's nothing but popularity.  Again, select specific cards that suit you.  The creditor should not be the cause but an effect.

Message 7 of 15
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Good job OP on getting WHAT YOU WANT

Way to go!

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vanity or success? Could be a bit of both Smiley Happy Nothing wrong with that if it works for you. A card with a high AF that doesn't maximize your rewards can be an expensive accessory, if you're not benefiting sufficiently from it in other ways, but there are a ton of expensive accessories in this world that people enjoy. Sounds like your cards are a good fit for you, and that's all that matters.

Message 9 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

If we disregard subjective factors, I can think of no good reason for having both the green and gold (if they are personal, obviously there are cases where one personal, one biz makes sense).   And as others have said, depends which Blue.   If it is actually the Blue, that's a lousy card, but I think they are converting it to the Everyday anyway.

But if it makes you happy, without harming others, then that's fine.   Just not a model for others with different subjective goals!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.