tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX upgrade question

@Anonymous wrote:
I didn't even know a Preferred Gold Card existed

+1

Me either.

A quick search only comes back with the PRG we're all familiar with and the 'standard' Gold... the only thing I can think of is that they are now referring to the 'regular' Gold as 'Preferred', at least in some cases.

OP, if you really want to know you should probably do a chat with an Amex CSR and ask what the AF is for the 'Preferred' Gold card... if it's $160/year that would mean that it's likely the standard 'gold' we're accustomed to here. 

If @Anonymous is around he/she might be able to shed some light as well.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 17
ScarlettClone
Valued Member

The Preferred Rewards Gold Card  is a UK card not a US card from my simple google search.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-card/cm/?s_tntref=https://www.google.com

• Charge Card
  • No preset spending limit
    No interest charges
    Just pay off your balance in full each month
  • Annual fee
  • £140
    (£0 in first year)
    (£0 in first year)

The annual fee is £140. With this offer you will receive the first year of Cardmembership with £0 annual fee. From year two of your membership, a £140 annual fee will automatically be charged to your Account on or after the anniversary of your Account opening date.

close

• Product Terms
  • Read Summary Box

If you'd prefer a Card without any rewards, other features or a Cardmembership fee, an alternative option is available – the Basic Card

• Representative example
  • Representative 19.9% APR variable. Based on assumed credit limit of £1200. Interest rate for purchases: 19.9% p.a. variable.
  • Card type
  • Credit Card with a variable credit limit
  • Annual fee
  • No annual fee
Test Content
  • Card type
  • Charge Card with no preset spending limit and no interest charges. All you need to do is pay off your balance in full each month.
  • Annual fee
  • No annual fee
Test Content

Highlights
  • Earn 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards ®
    Membership Rewards

The 20,000 Membership Rewards bonus points will be awarded onto your Account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged £2,000 within the first three months of Cardmembership. All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if you currently hold or have held any other Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Cards in the past six months. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus points to be awarded to your Account.  Flights are based on a return economy flight, reward flights are subject to availability.

close

points when you spend £2,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership. That’s enough for a return flight from London to over 100 destinations or a £100 Gift Card to spend at over 20 eligible retailers.

For a full list of rewards you can redeem your points for click here. Terms, taxes fees and charges may apply.

• Receive a 10,000 Membership Rewards ®

10,000 Membership Rewards points will be awarded to your Account after Card renewal if you have made purchases of at least £15,000 within a 12-month period ending on the anniversary of your Preferred Rewards Gold Cardmembership. Should you qualify in any given year, the 10,000 Membership Rewards points will be awarded to your Account within 60 days after your Card renewal. (The following charges are not valid charges for the purpose of calculating your spend accrual towards this bonus in a given year: cash withdrawals, American Express Travellers Cheque purchases, foreign exchange, fees and interest charges for returned payments, finance charges, late payment and referral charges, fees/charges including joining, annual and Membership Rewards fees.

close

points anniversary bonus after each year of Cardmembership, when you spend at least £15,000 within the 12 month period of your Card anniversary.
  • Transfer your points to 12 major frequent flyer
    Frequent flyer programmes

Air France KLM Flying Blue, Alitalia MilleMiglia program, Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, Delta SkyMiles®, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Finnair Plus, Iberia Plus, SAS EuroBonus, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

close

and 3 hotel
    Hotel programmes

Club CarlsonSM, Hilton HHonorsTM and Starwood Preferred Guest®

close

programmes, redeem them with a wide range of shopping, travel and lifestyle partners or Shop with Points with select retailers online such as Amazon.co.uk and Ticketmaster.
  • Receive US $75 hotel credit
    $75USD credit

Valid for new bookings with participating providers of at least two consecutive nights made online through americanexpress.co.uk/travel To see an example list of participating hotels visit americanexpress.co.uk/hotelsgold Payment must be made in full with an American Express Card in the Preferred Rewards Gold Cardmember’s name. This benefit is for Preferred Rewards Gold Cardmembers only. The Gold Cardmember must travel on the itinerary booked. The Cardmember will receive the credit as a deduction from the final hotel bill when checking out of the hotel; they will receive $1 for each eligible dollar spent up to $75 USD. Room upgrade is based on availability and eligibility at check-in.  Participating providers and benefits subject to change. Bookings for participating hotels at The Hotel Collection made online at americanexpress.co.uk/travel will not earn two additional Membership Rewards points for every £1 spent, but will be earned at the normal rate of one point for virtually every £1 spent. Full Terms and Conditions apply, please visit americanexpress.co.uk/hotelsgold

close

and room upgrades where available at over 350 hotels globally including Hilton, InterContinental and Sofitel.
  • Enjoy two complimentary Lounge visits
    Lounge visits

In order to fulfil your membership with LOUNGE CLUB(TM), we will share certain information about you with the Priority Travel Group Holdings Limited ("PTG") who administer the LOUNGE CLUB(TM) programme. PTG will provide complimentary membership for the primary card holder to LOUNGE CLUB(TM), and issue a card and lounge listing. You will be entitled to two complimentary lounge visits at participating lounges each year you hold a valid Preferred Rewards Gold Card, which may be used by the primary Cardmember or by the primary Cardmember and one guest. Once you have activated your American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Card, please allow up to 28 working days for your LOUNGE CLUB(TM) card to arrive in the mail. Full Terms and Conditions apply, for details visit americanexpress.co.uk/loungesgold

close

per year to use at over 500 airport lounges globally.
  • Benefit from Travel Inconvenience
    inconvenience insurance

Terms and Conditions apply.  Please see the Insurance Terms and Conditions for full details. Please read this to understand the limits and exclusions that may apply.

close

Protection and Travel Accident Protection
    accident insurance

Terms and Conditions apply.  Please see the Insurance Terms and Conditions for full details. Please read this to understand the limits and exclusions that may apply.

close

benefits when you pay with your Card.
  • 10% off Hertz
    10% off Hertz

Hertz Gold Plus Rewards enrolment is required to access the benefits, please enrol at Hertz.com/AmexBenefits 10% off Hertz's publicly available retail car rental rates excludes Special Offers, and is offered at time of booking at participating Hertz locations worldwide. One car-class upgrade is subject to availability. Fee-Waived Additional Driver, must be requested at rental location prior to collection and is subject to meeting Hertz's driving requirements. In all cases, a valid Preferred Rewards Gold Card must be registered as the form of payment in your Gold Plus Reward membership profile. Benefits are only available for new reservations and Terms Apply - visit the website for full Terms and Conditions Hertz.com/AmexBenefits Reservations can be made via americanexpress.co.uk/travel, hertz.com, Hertz.com/AmexBenefits or through Hertz worldwide telephone reservations when the member’s Preferred Rewards Gold Card benefits-enabled Gold Plus Rewards membership number is entered prior to completion of the booking.

close

base car rental rates, plus a one car class upgrade and additional driver fee waived. Upgrades are subject to availability.
Message 12 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Cmikul wrote:

my Green card is due for an upgrade and I have 3 options...one is the Preferred and one is the Premier Gold.  I also have the Platinum option.

What is the difference between the two Gold cards

While none of us seem to know what a US Preferred card is: what are they offering for points for the upgrade (as compared to apping and cancelling the green?)

Message 13 of 17
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

My guess is that they are calling the regular gold the preferred gold.

And I absolutely agree with just canceling the green and applying for whichever one you choose. Better sign up bonus that way

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 14 of 17
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Just a quick question, How long was it before the "upgrade" was offered to you ?

I had my Green card for about 10 months now....

Thank You

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would assume you can upgrade at any moments. Yet I believe it be safe after six months. Similar to a cli from them.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to have the green until I cancelled it after getting my PRG.  Before I cancelled, I confirmed with a couple of amex reps that you can only PC the card after your 12th statement cuts.  Not sure if the rule is still the same.  Good thing I cancelled, I would have missed out on the huge PRG sign up bonus.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.