Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX usage vs CL (look bad?)

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

AMEX usage vs CL (look bad?)

My second statement cut on the BCP today and I used $1,835 of my 2K limit this billng cycle.  I made over 10 payments throughout the month to keep the balance below $550 whereas not to freak them out.  I let $137 report since all others cards will report $0 later this month (21st) to maximize FICO scoring.  I earned $39 in rewards which is simply fantastic.  I'm loving this card. 

Question - Do you think this type of usage looks bad using so much of my CL?  I've posted before that I'm using the heck out of it but just wanted to get others' opinions now that my second statement cut.  I've ran over $3K through it in two billing cycles.  I'm sticking with the mentality of "not scared to use it" unless strongly advised otherwise.

Thoughts?  Advice? 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

Re: AMEX usage vs CL (look bad?)

I think AMEX prefers to see you using your card that much. I was doing the same thing with my BCE and got instantly approved for the 3x CLI. 

Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

I made over 10 payments throughout the month to keep the balance below $550 whereas not to freak them out.

There's really no need to do this.  You can make one payment to adjust reported utilization.  Doesn't hurt to make multiple payments either.  Really just your call.

@axledobe wrote:

Do you think this type of usage looks bad using so much of my CL?

Usage isn't a bad thing.  If you want something to worry over then carrying balances and prolonged high utilization with minimal payments (i.e. the stuff that sets off red flags with all creditors) is something to worry over.  As long as you're using and paying off what you've used there's really nothing to worry over.  AmEx isn't going to penalize you just for using the card.

Message 3 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

I made over 10 payments throughout the month to keep the balance below $550 whereas not to freak them out.

There's really no need to do this.  You can make one payment to adjust reported utilization.  Doesn't hurt to make multiple payments either.  Really just your call.

@axledobe wrote:

Do you think this type of usage looks bad using so much of my CL?

Usage isn't a bad thing.  If you want something to worry over then carrying balances and prolonged high utilization with minimal payments (i.e. the stuff that sets off red flags with all creditors) is something to worry over.  As long as you're using and paying off what you've used there's really nothing to worry over.  AmEx isn't going to penalize you just for using the card.

+1

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 5
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Agree with all that has been said...I wouldn't sweat it.  

I PIF my cards weekly (including AMEX) and never had a problem.  The only thing that may set off alarms is if you were doing manufactured spending (i.e. buying $1500 worth of gift cards, paying off...then the next day buying another $1500 worth of gift cards to run up the rewards/points).  Even if you were doing MS, you would really have to be abusing it to set off the alarms...

As long as you stay around your monthly CL spending-wise (which you are), and keep your balances low or PIF (which you are), you have nothing to fear.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.