Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX victory

tag
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

AMEX victory

Hi all, I haven't been on here in a long time but I had to share...

I felt like being slapped by AMEX again (I do this about once a year) so I app'd for the BCE, even though I have about 75% util between all my cards (I know, BAD BAD me, but hey I'm a poor state employee who hasn't had a raise in 5 years and the cost of living keeps going up).  My most recent TU from Walmart is 625; I haven't been brave enough to check EQ recently.  

Someone at AMEX must be insane!  That's the only way I can explain my approval.  I'm extending my excitement by waiting for the mailman to bring me my credit limit.

To add to my credit happiness, my 18 year old started working and went to JC Penny to get some more dress shirts.  At the register he was asked if he wanted to apply for a JCP card and get 10% off his bill (or whatever the nonsense is).  He ignorantly thought it was a discount card, like you get from the grocery store, so he said sure.  He was approved!  So he now has his first credit card.  He's scared to use it though.  I gave him all the right advice, so hopefully he'll do what I say, not what I do!

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: AMEX victory

Congratulations on your approval and welcome to the Amex Family.
Also, congrats to DS!
Message 2 of 23
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Did you apply in such a way that got you a BT offer?

Maybe AMEX wants you to transfer some of that debt.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@luvsandyshores wrote:

I felt like being slapped by AMEX again (I do this about once a year) so I app'd for the BCE, even though I have about 75% util between all my cards (I know, BAD BAD me, but hey I'm a poor state employee who hasn't had a raise in 5 years and the cost of living keeps going up).  My most recent TU from Walmart is 625; I haven't been brave enough to check EQ recently.  

Someone at AMEX must be insane!  That's the only way I can explain my approval.  I'm extending my excitement by waiting for the mailman to bring me my credit limit.

To add to my credit happiness, my 18 year old started working and went to JC Penny to get some more dress shirts.  At the register he was asked if he wanted to apply for a JCP card and get 10% off his bill (or whatever the nonsense is).  He ignorantly thought it was a discount card, like you get from the grocery store, so he said sure.  He was approved!  So he now has his first credit card.  He's scared to use it though.  I gave him all the right advice, so hopefully he'll do what I say, not what I do!

Congarts also congrats to the DS on the JCP

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 23
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@luvsandyshores wrote:

Congrats welcome to the Amex family.  Have you gotten a fico score recently?  Threads always comes up the revolvers are easier to get than charge cards but apparently with those scores the bar has been changed.  GL with your new card and treat Amex right and it will grow with you very quickly. 

Message 5 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

First...
Thank you for being a government employee. Despite our alleged spending problem, many individuals are experiencing hardships.
I commend you !
Now... CONGRATS on the Amex!!!!
Please tell us the limit and your true score when you get it in the mail!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 23
BrokeStudent2010
Contributor

Congrats!

Message 7 of 23
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

@ dustink- Yes, I requested to BT a small amount.  Maybe that made a difference to them, when coupled with my 100% on time payment history.  

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 8 of 23
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Maybe that is a bit of a trick with AMEX.

If utilization is high. Request a BT.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 9 of 23
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

lol. No worries how u got it, just congrats yourself!

I was surprised when I got mine too. But somewhere, somehow we deserve it!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.