Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX vs CITI AMEX?

tag
davidsawsparks
Contributor

AMEX vs CITI AMEX?

Forgive me if this has been asked before... but I can't seem to find it in the topics if it has been asked before. What is the difference between an AMEX card and Citi Preferred Diamond AMEX card? If I were to apply for a CITI AMEX, does AMEX do the credit check or does CITI do it? If I had a CITI AMEX, does it back date to another AMEX's date or is it considered a new card etc...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX vs CITI AMEX?

@davidsawsparks wrote:

Forgive me if this has been asked before... but I can't seem to find it in the topics if it has been asked before. What is the difference between an AMEX card and Citi Preferred Diamond AMEX card? If I were to apply for a CITI AMEX, does AMEX do the credit check or does CITI do it? If I had a CITI AMEX, does it back date to another AMEX's date or is it considered a new card etc...

If you apply for the Citi Amex, Citi does the inquiry.  They are two separate companies.  The Citi Amex is a co-branded card with a license from Amex.  So the inquiry and account is serviced by Citi.  As far as backdating, only Amex itself does this.  Citi does not.  If you had an actual Amex card from years ago, closed it, and applied directly from Amex, then they would backdate the new account to when you first became a member with them. 

Hope this helps.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 2 of 7
davidsawsparks
Contributor

Hmmmm interesting. So what is the pros and cons of getting one over the other?

Message 3 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

The American Express bank will cancel you in a heartbeat.   So everytime you go to use it , you can ask yourself.   Do I feel lucky today? 

Smiley Wink

From the merchants point of view, the AMEX network is all the same.   So you need to look and terms and condition and rewards for each banks cards to compare. 

Message 4 of 7
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

The American Express bank will cancel you in a heartbeat.   So everytime you go to use it , you can ask yourself.   Do I feel lucky today? 

Smiley Wink

From the merchants point of view, the AMEX network is all the same.   So you need to look and terms and condition and rewards for each banks cards to compare. 

Wolf is right..........Amex suffers from crankiness...........They have been badgering me for months for Zync,Green,Gold Premier for months now.  They go into shredder. If i had to choose, i'd pick Citi.  At least you shouldn't have to worry about account closure at a moments' notice.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 5 of 7
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

I chose CITI (Select AAdvantage American Express). I had received an invitation to apply via email last month with a 35,000 mile bonus and no annual fee for the first year. I applied on-line and received an instant approval with a $15,000 initial credit line. After the first year, the annual fee is $85.00

I would eventually like to apply for the companion Visa siggie card, but I don't know how long you have to wait before you can apply for another CITI account. They will not charge another annual fee as long as you keep your first AAdvantage card open.

CITI is much better the American Express Centurion Bank.

Message 6 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would wait until you get your first CLI then apply for a second card if you want one. Sounds like they really like you!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.