Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX wants me to jump through hoops for 3x CLI

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

AMEX wants me to jump through hoops for 3x CLI

Requested the 61 day 3x CLI for a whopping total CL of $6,000 and I got the "we'll let you know" message. Well, today in the mail I got a letter with an IRS 1040 form request saying they need my tax returns in order to process my request. REALLY? For a $6,000 CL?

It's not an FR, because it simply says they will discard my request if after 30 days they don't receive anything. Now, I can see requesting this for large CL's in the 5 figure range, but for $6,000? Ridiculous.

I'm not sending them anything out of spite. Just paid off my BCE and it, along with my Zync, are going to be settling nicely in the sock drawer. 

I knew it was only a matter of time before AMEX started being quirky. I find it extremely intrusive and unnecessary so I'm not participating. I've got plenty of other cards with much higher limits, so I'm not sweating it. Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX wants me to jump through hoops for 3x CLI

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Requested the 61 day 3x CLI for a whopping total CL of $6,000 and I got the "we'll let you know" message. Well, today in the mail I got a letter with an IRS 1040 form request saying they need my tax returns in order to process my request. REALLY? For a $6,000 CL?

It's not an FR, because it simply says they will discard my request if after 30 days they don't receive anything. Now, I can see requesting this for large CL's in the 5 figure range, but for $6,000? Ridiculous.

I'm not sending them anything out of spite. Just paid off my BCE and it, along with my Zync, are going to be settling nicely in the sock drawer. 

I knew it was only a matter of time before AMEX started being quirky. I find it extremely intrusive and unnecessary so I'm not participating. I've got plenty of other cards with much higher limits, so I'm not sweating it. Smiley Happy

What does your files currently look like??

High Util??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 33
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

What does your files currently look like??

High Util??

Nope, util is under 7%, TU FICO from Walmart actually went up this month, from 750 to 756. 

I did just purchase a new car at the end of February, and I have a good bit of inquiries from shopping around...I guess that could have spooked them. 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 33
dodgeball
Established Contributor

This is why I cant stand AMEX, and its too bad because there delta card is very tempting to me since they fly from Stuttgart to the states

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 4 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

They seem to dislike balances, were you holding a balance on this card? It seems odd you get FR'd over a 3x CLI from a $2K card. Who knows.

Message 5 of 33
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

They seem to dislike balances, were you holding a balance on this card? It seems odd you get FR'd over a 3x CLI from a $2K card. Who knows.

The balance was $50. I've been paying it off before the statement cuts since I got the card. 

It's not an FR, just income verification. They didn't state that they would close the account if I didn't comply, just that they would not give my request any further consideration. 

Now that I think about it, I just accepted a new position with a substantially higher salary than what I had when I got the card. I bet you that's what did it.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 33
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

May I ask what your income is? Perhaps the income doesn't support your existing credit lines?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 33
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
May I ask what your income is? Perhaps the income doesn't support your existing credit lines?

$45,000 is my current income, without bonuses or allowances. I was less than $30k (crappy temp job just after graduation) when I got the card. I think $6,000 CL on $45,000 salary is sufficient, but who knows. 

Photobucket
Message 8 of 33
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

And it obviously would do me no good to submit tax forms because they won't have my current wages on them, since I started this job in 2013.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Sorry to hear, i wouldn't submit any tax info just keep good usage on it for a year and see if they auto CLI you. Maybe try for another CLI around that time.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.